How are you meant to drive this thing ?

Born to fly
new reply
Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

How are you meant to drive this thing ?

Post by Gabe777 »

OK.... so the wheels are back to front !

Seriously considering this, as Alaska is begging for a bushy floatplane, but for cripes sake, it looks like the thing is upside down.

If I can't even see out the window when taxiing, I'm gonna be paying a new plane on a weekly basis!
Last edited by Gabe777 on 19 Dec 2017, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: How tbe are you meant to drive this thing ?

Post by Oracle427 »

Just like in real life, you learn to look at the 10 and 2 o clock positions and you s turn while taxiing.

Also make sure you sit in the back seat as the view is better. The front seat is lower than the back and that is also the where the pilot actually sits.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Re: How tbe are you meant to drive this thing ?

Post by Gabe777 »

Hi. Thnx.

And do I land on all 3 together or front 2 and pull back ? I guess you spitfire pilotps are used to it !
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: How are you meant to drive this thing ?

Post by Oracle427 »

Both ways.

Landing on all 3 wheels at the same time is called a 3 point landing.

Landing on the mains is called a 2 point, or wheel leaving or "wheelie".

Each has its pros and cons. A 2 point landing requires a little more finesse to gently touch down on the mains without bouncing back up into the air. You also need to push a little forward on the stick to keep the plane on the ground and then pull full back as the tail begins to settle down. That moment when the tail begins to settle down is most vulnerable as a sudden gust may cause the aircraft to weathervane.

A 2 pointer is useful on rough ground and also lets you see over the nose further into the landing. With a wheel landing, you keep a teeny bit (just a nudge of the throttle lever, about 1/8"-1/4" IRL) of power in until you are rolling on the mains with the stick forward and under control. Then you go to idle and wait until the tail begins to settle before pulling back.

Both are perfectly good landing techniques. You need to develop a good feel for getting visual cues for runway alignment from the 10 and 1 o'clock positions. Those little slivers of runway on either side are all you need to far the job done. Once you get good at handling the J-3, everything else will be a piece of cake.

It is also proper technique to keep the stick full back while taxiing to ensure the tail remains on the ground. If you have a tailwind then stick neutral. Tailwheel aircraft are unforgiving of holding improper wind corrections. The FSX engine is on the tame side when compared to the real thing, but it isn't terribly far from reality either. The MS Flight engine's Stearman simulation was amazingly good in this respect, but I digress.

To get better forward visibly on the approach, use a curving approach with a forward slip. Cut the slip out as you get near the runway. This will help you keep the runway in sight and get lined up and stable.

With wheel landings you will level off with the wheels just off the runway and then be patient and wait for ground contact.

With 3 pointers, you will start the glide break and level off earlier and arrive level over the runway with the wheels maybe a foot off the runway all while at idle power. Then wait for the plane to begin to settle and hold it off the runway at the same height by pulling back as needed until you are in a 3 point attitude and the aircraft settles onto the ground.

It is harder in the sim because you don't get the physical cues of your butt getting heavier or lighter in the seat. In the sim you have to anticipate it or have cat like reflexes in response to the visual cues. No different than landing a nose gear aircraft in this respect. Welcome to conventional landing gear aircraft! :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”