Why doesn't the pilot sit in the front seat ?

Born to fly
speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Why doesn't the pilot sit in the front seat ?

Post by speedy70 »

You will not see her react only hear her.(With bad flying she grabs the sidebars).She is also part of the accusim addon,so if as you say you do not want to buy accusim,you won,t have Heidi.

Cheers Chris

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

speedy70 wrote:You will not see her react only hear her.(With bad flying she grabs the sidebars).She is also part of the accusim addon,so if as you say you do not want to buy accusim,you won,t have Heidi.

Cheers Chris
Correct. Accusim add on is just too expensive. It puts the total price right up so yes no accu sim for some purchases methinks. I know it is blasphemy for some but each to their own :) The B17 with accusim for example, is over $80 for me.....that is more than the whole FSX :) .... yes A2A is not responsible for exchange rates but it does affect decisions to purchase.
Last edited by Styggron on 17 Jun 2016, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Well why ask all these questions then?

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

speedy70 wrote:Well why ask all these questions then?
Because if you look at the OP, it was about why the pilot sits in the front (or more accurantely, why Heidi does not sit in the back) and why the instruments are not in the back and it was answered.

Simple :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Your original post was about Heidi and her seating, and as she is part of accusim which apparently you do not want because it is waaaaaaaaaay too expensive I fail to see the point of your question.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

speedy70 wrote:Your original post was about Heidi and her seating, and as she is part of accusim which apparently you do not want because it is waaaaaaaaaay too expensive I fail to see the point of your question.
The title of the thread is "Why doesn't the pilot sit in the front seat"

ok so following on from that thread title. I said and I quote ""Hi everyone,
If Heidi is a passenger, why doesn't she sit in the back ? Why does the pilot sit in the back where you can't see the controls properly.............. ??????"

So using Heidi as the example. It could have easily been any other name/person. I was also curious if you could sit her in the back.
Easy peasy.

Yes it is waaaaaaaay too expensive indeed...but the caveat here is, this is from my perspective and situation only :) The B17 with accusim for example is over $80 for me far more than fsx. and no exchange rates are not A2A's fault. It is all subjective. They are fine for person "A" but not for "B" like everything :) ..... The C172 I have is utterly amazing though but it was much cheaper at the time of purchase....exchange rate again ;) no one's fault.....well, bar the markets :o

Anyway moving on :) , the answer was kindly offered explaining why in the Tiger Cub it works the way it does.

I understand you may not see the point, but I do and I was the one asking so all is well on my side :)

I don't want to get into an argument here :) and shall not post anything further on this matter unless it is asking more about sitting in the back seat :)

kind regards

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Thank God for small mercies !!!

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

So when planes like the Cub were being designed, was it a technical limitation or by design that the view was better from the back ?

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Nearly all biplanes have a better view from the back,and indeed are flown from the back.It was a design fact.

Google it and read up about it.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Styggron wrote:So when planes like the Cub were being designed, was it a technical limitation or by design that the view was better from the back ?
There are no serious problems with visual cues from the back seat of a J3. What is blocked by a passenger's back is easily handled by the back seater. Trust me; I've given enough dual in tail wheel airplanes (including the J3) where were it a problem I would have noticed it :-)

On landings and takeoffs the view peripherally to each side is actually superior from the back seat.
DH

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Styggron wrote:So when planes like the Cub were being designed, was it a technical limitation or by design that the view was better from the back ?
There are no serious problems with visual cues from the back seat of a J3. What is blocked by a passenger's back is easily handled by the back seater. Trust me; I've given enough dual in tail wheel airplanes (including the J3) where were it a problem I would have noticed it :-)

On landings and takeoffs the view peripherally to each side is actually superior from the back seat.
DH
Thank you Dudley :)
Yes but was it by design or a technical limitation that it is better from the back ?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Styggron wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:

DH
Thank you Dudley :)
Yes but was it by design or a technical limitation that it is better from the back ?
It would be correct to say that the J3 was designed so that solo flight was required from the back seat and if two people were carried it made no difference where the pilot was seated. If you enjoyed flying from the back seat as I did I exercised that option so that the pax could enjoy the view up front. I gave dual from the front seat as the pilot I was flying with would have to fly the airplane solo from the back.
Dudley Henriques

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
It would be correct to say that the J3 was designed so that solo flight was required from the back seat and if two people were carried it made no difference where the pilot was seated. If you enjoyed flying from the back seat as I did I exercised that option so that the pax could enjoy the view up front. I gave dual from the front seat as the pilot I was flying with would have to fly the airplane solo from the back.
Dudley Henriques
Thank you Dudley :) Always fantastic to read your posts always so helpful.

oakfloor
Senior Airman

Post by oakfloor »

Good luck with this, I tried in vane to swap places with Hedi, and could never make anyone understand what I wanted. Someone here sent me instructions on how to do it, but I just gave up and did not purchase the J-3.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Pressing the A or the S key (I can't remember which) a couple of times will put you in the front seat.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”