Redbird + Cub, full motion sim

Born to fly
new reply
1/2 Acre
Airman Basic

Redbird + Cub, full motion sim

Post by 1/2 Acre »

This question is probably best answered by A2A, but is the Redbird simulator running the A2A cub package in P3D? I ask as I believe Redbird uses P3D for its other simulators but my understanding is that the cub isn't (yet?) available in a P3D version.

I am looking to build a home-based motion simulator primarily for the J3 and seeking a stable environment as I won't be needing to update files continuously for the latest and greatest (primary use would be to replicate simple Light Sport flying on those IFR days). Most motion platforms see commercial and P3D focused. Anyone know of one that works well with FSX and uses telemetry for accurate characteristics?

Speaking of which, maybe A2A can opine on what hardware they think could add to the realism of their great products???

Thx!

Aaron

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Redbird + Cub, full motion sim

Post by Scott - A2A »

We custom created a J3 for Redbird several years back for Air Venture. This was a torn down version, without Heidi or the other variants (water, skis, tundra).

We recommend CH Products yokes, Saitek throttles, and the Saitek elevator trim wheel.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

1/2 Acre
Airman Basic

Post by 1/2 Acre »

Thanks for the quick response. I am leaning toward the use of a higher fidelity control stick (maybe C-Tek or FlightLink) as well as pedals (Redbird, ctek, etc) as a yoke just feels off for a cub simulator. Do you have any experience with motion platforms that you feel add more realism to your product?

Thx again!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Most motion platforms short of the very highest end ones IMO are rather poor.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I don't really have an recommendations for a motion platform.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

1/2 Acre
Airman Basic

Post by 1/2 Acre »

My research indicates that the motion space is highly fragmented and, as often noted, expensive. That said, I think a higher fidelity motion platform is intriguing, particularly when coupled with Oculus Rift and FlyInside. I think it would be a wonderful VFR GA set up for stick and rudder flying - especially AccuSim tail draggers. I have narrowed the list down to a very short list of platforms but the CKAS 6DoF motion platform seems to offer the best cost-benefit. Others considered include the Eleetus (blue tiger), Simcraft Vertex 3, SimRoom Aero FX, and the Motion Sim 4DOF Extreme.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience, it's welcomed. Yes, I recognize that the set up I have laid out (motion, VR, higher end controls) makes for an expensive set up (~$20k), but the fidelity and immersion would be very high relative to the commercial choices but at a fraction of the cost. Case in point, the Redbird MX2 "Cub"retails for $59k.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I have a number of hours in Redbirds and even at that price, the motion platform isn't all that great. It moves and it does add a little to the immersion but it is a long way off from reality.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

1/2 Acre
Airman Basic

Post by 1/2 Acre »

Hello Scott and Lewis,

It's been awhile since I originally posted but my motion simulator built around A2A's J3 is coming together and I have a question for you. Since I last communicated I now have a 6DoF motion platform upon which I am mounting an actual J3 Cub seat. I ordered real cub throttle and trim parts and have Throttletek finishing up fabrication...I will mount them in the same physical spot as they are located in the aircraft. I am going to use Oculus Rift for my visuals vs monitors/trackIR. I believe the cub's limited cockpit instrumentation does not suffer from a VR headset. I also have custom stick and rudder pedals being created by C-tek (I'd post an image but the file is too big, only floor brake pedals in flight sim world that I know of but just like the real cub I fly at Van Sant airport in Bucks County, PA).

Question for you: I am working with Kenneth at Jetline to build a system. He naturally favors P3D for obvious technical reasons yet a FSX requires focusing on a bit different configuration. I know people have flown the J3 in P3D, I also know that it isn't (yet) officially supported, but what advice can you give me as I am trying to build a system that will be robust for awhile to come. Yes, I will likely use other A2A products on the rig (T-6 readily comes to mind), but the primary mission is to be a cub flyer. Do I just build for FSX environment? Will I suffer materially if I fly the J3 in P3D? Something around the bend that will make an FSX build "dated"? Any help is appreciated!!

Best,

Aaron

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Aaron,

you will need to upload the images to and then you can embed them into the forums, we dont do any direct hosting on the forums. It'd be interesting to see the setup you have so far.

VR is great but it does in this first gen have some res issues that make reading instruments a close up affair, so expect to be moving your head forward to read the gauges. The feeling of being there and being airborne though as your brain is tricked by the VR world is stunning!

The Cub is an FSX product so we cannot guarantee how it will run in P3D. I believe with the current P3D platform the basics work apart from water physics but as P3D moves forward I guess that gap is going to get wider.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”