new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

J3 Cub on Floats

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Here is the newest video from Flightchops, where he tries a j3 cub with floats:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ubWqyAtHo4[/youtube]

P.S. There are some useful tips from his instructor for takeoffs and landings in floats. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: J3 Cub on Floats

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice video. That sure looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the heads up Will!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Excellent video, I miss my Cub on floats in P3D... All other variants work just fine, but the float version doesn't play nice with the re-adjusted friction values. I really hope A2A decide to revisit this one and update it for the new sim...

Tym

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

TymK wrote:Excellent video, I miss my Cub on floats in P3D... All other variants work just fine, but the float version doesn't play nice with the re-adjusted friction values. I really hope A2A decide to revisit this one and update it for the new sim...

Tym
Ah!!! Never tried it under fsx but you just answer a big question I always had since I bought it and fly it in p3d v3.. Why is it so hard to get that thing on plane???? So in fsx it was a bit more like in that video?

Thanks for the post will, Been a subscriber to flight chops since 2 years now... That guy is an amazing youtuber airman.. Love all of his videos, one of the most honest guys I've seen on the Internet about his flying and mistake . Love the learning opportunity he shares with us!

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi Stephan,

It appears LM have changed friction values in P3D, not just for hard surfaces (I know A2A had to readjust some things for the GA planes as a result), but also for water. There's way too much water drag during takeoff, and the only workaround is to temporarily disable AccuSim for the takeoff run. I can just about take off with the pilot alone, but with a passenger on board, it's virtually impossible to get on the step and continue accelerating.

Tym

spadjockey
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by spadjockey »

It appears LM have changed friction values in P3D, not just for hard surfaces (I know A2A had to readjust some things for the GA planes as a result), but also for water. There's way too much water drag during takeoff, and the only workaround is to temporarily disable AccuSim for the takeoff run. I can just about take off with the pilot alone, but with a passenger on board, it's virtually impossible to get on the step and continue accelerating.

Tym[/quote][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Aj1oz_ODc[/youtube]

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Hey guys, there have been a few discussions all along about the performance of the cub in P3D. Yes, in V3.2, she is really sluggish both in water ops and in general climb performance. A few of us over time have even thrown around some cfg changes with the tricky part being accusim accepting the mods and not blowing up the motor or ripping the swings off.

The official word is of course no support for P3D, although I do hope they will eventually bring this to the table. I do have some numbers that do work with accusim and make the float cub (and others) perform much more in line with the original FSX version. I'm not sure that I would be allowed to publish those numbers, but if anyone is interested, send me a pm and I can give you numbers to change in the cfg.

Don't expect SuperCub performance, but these numbers will get you off the water with full fuel and Heidi up front. 8)

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Man - THAT looks like fun...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”