starting the cub

Born to fly
new reply
speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

starting the cub

Post by speedy70 »

Considering that the J3 Cub does not have a battery or a starter motor,how many of you start the Cub correctly by priming and then swinging the prop?

How many of you cheat by using by using ctrl-e?How many use the paddle to paddle ashore?

Cheers Chris

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: starting the cub

Post by Killratio »

Ctrl E..??

(Spits on ground).

:) :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Chris,

I prefer, proper priming and prop swing since it was build for this type of start. I personally find it more realistic and exciting to get close as possible as it can to the real thing. I almost don't use Ctrl+E. Half of the excitement and pleasure of each sim flight, for me is in the flight planning, aircraft preflight check lists, walk around check and run up.

I rarely fly float, not to mention ski. ;)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

I can only echo Killratio's and LZ-WIL's sentiments. Much more fun to start her up properly not knowing if she'll fire 1st time than using CRTL+E!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Definitely prime and hand crank. So much more fun than hitting CRTL+E!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

chadryan
Senior Airman

starting the cub

Post by chadryan »

I love the paddle. Such a cool feature. And I would never use Ctrl+E

MX-Leader
Airman First Class

Post by MX-Leader »

Lately I have been spending the time to prime and pull 8 blades with the mags off.... Starts on the first swing almost every time!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

I confess I'll sometimes do the auto-start on the B-17 if I'm pressed for time - I tell myself the copilot took care of it, though I always feel like I've missed out on a big part of the experience. And I almost always auto-start the Stratocruiser (not my job, man!) But the Cub? Prime and pull every time.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Anawake
Airman First Class

Post by Anawake »

I also prime and pull each time. I had even banished the Ctrl+E from the assignments in FSX.

I love to go through all the steps involved, especially in the Mustang (30+ checklist items for "Before Starting Engine" !!) and the starting itself demands a lot of "Fingerspitzengefühl"...or roughly translated...a certain feel in the finger tips.

Really, man, there´s nothing cooler than bringing such old simulated old piston engine to virtual life! Just to find out that it is the same as in the real world... (well, with the Mustang I have to guess, had never sat in a real one...)
There´s a Point in auto starting the big and complex Systems, as the B17 and the B337. As part of the crew the Pilot wouldn´t go through the steps by himself but has his XO and engineer to toggle all the (maybe thousands of) switches.

Choose your own conduct, but cheating sucks :lol:
Cheers,
Marco

Image Image

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

I never prime the Cub, just half throttle+mags and pull it through. 80% of the time works every time.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”