Cub Tour, range and time

Born to fly
new reply
Bazonka
Senior Airman

Cub Tour, range and time

Post by Bazonka »

Hey Pilots!

I think this is an already asked question but I want to ask it again because I couldnt find a definitive answer.

I do a East to West tour in the USA. My first legs where relative short legs. But now I want to fly a long haul in the cub.

What would you say is the max range/time the cub can do? (at 2100rpm, and I fly in 2015 ASN Historic Summer weather, in June)

Would you fly high or low (i know that sealevel is the best in theory, but is this really the best for long haul?)

Any other suggests?

Thank you in advance guys! :-)
i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - MSI RTX 2080 Super

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Cub Tour, range and time

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Sounds like a fun adventure. I don't know what the range in the Cub is but you could start extending your legs out. Sort of trial and error. :wink:

As for the altitude I would do a route planing and then check at which altitude the winds are most favorable. Especially if you want to do "long haul" and get the most distance out of your time (aka ground speed :wink: ). If you enter your flight plan (and desired altitude) into ASN and then go on the "Briefing" page it'll tell you what the winds are better at a different altitude. It'll also tell you if the winds are better at a different altitude.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Bazonka
Senior Airman

Post by Bazonka »

Sounds good, thank you!
I will trie it first with an leg around 2 hours, I think this should work in good weather...
I will report here, maybe I can get some good numbers for other long haul cub flyers 8)

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

No worries.

If you don't mind sharing your progress that would be great. Maybe with some screenshots?

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

to be honest its going to be more weather dependent i'd think doing your best to fly within flyable weather without being taken down or flying backwards.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Sounds like a fun adventure. I don't know what the range in the Cub is but you could start extending your legs out. Sort of trial and error. :wink:

As for the altitude I would do a route planing and then check at which altitude the winds are most favorable. Especially if you want to do "long haul" and get the most distance out of your time (aka ground speed :wink: ). If you enter your flight plan (and desired altitude) into ASN and then go on the "Briefing" page it'll tell you what the winds are better at a different altitude. It'll also tell you if the winds are better at a different altitude.

Happy flying
Sound advices, just do not climb to get the jetstream :P, specially if you fly East to West inn the US, You may find yourself in Ireland with the Cub :wink: .
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Dominique wrote: Sound advices, just do not climb to get the jetstream :P, specially if you fly East to West inn the US, You may find yourself in Ireland with the Cub :wink: .
Hehe well obviously you'll have to watch for that. Also you might get a problem with the oxygen up there, or the temperature :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bazonka
Senior Airman

Post by Bazonka »

Piper_EEWL wrote:No worries.

If you don't mind sharing your progress that would be great. Maybe with some screenshots?

Happy flying
If anyone is interested, via the youtube link in my description you can watch the progress of the tour!

It is a nice little flight vlog of the tour. And it goes on in the next time! Unfortunately I had little time to fly in the last weeks.

Have fun

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

This is a guy who flies his cub on epic journeys around the country with a camera in hand - been following along for years... Some incredible photography might help set the tone... It must be amazing to be able to putter along at 500 feet and smell the fresh cut grass through the open window as you get ready to land for the evening...

http://www.vintageflying.com/

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Bazonka wrote: If anyone is interested, via the youtube link in my description you can watch the progress of the tour!

It is a nice little flight vlog of the tour. And it goes on in the next time! Unfortunately I had little time to fly in the last weeks.
Great! I'll try to check the videos out later. I'm spittle short in time at the moment though.

Thanks for sharing that journey with us!

Bazonka
Senior Airman

Post by Bazonka »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Folks,

This is a guy who flies his cub on epic journeys around the country with a camera in hand - been following along for years... Some incredible photography might help set the tone... It must be amazing to be able to putter along at 500 feet and smell the fresh cut grass through the open window as you get ready to land for the evening...

http://www.vintageflying.com/

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice photos and trip! Good inspiration for me, Thank you for the link

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Happy to help - been a fan of the Cub myself... Different kind of flying than I'm used to - the stall speed is so low - you can put that plane down almost anywhere - it's known as the plane that can barely kill you... What a great plane to have in retirement... Enjoy your flights...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”