Passenger in the Back Seat possible?

Born to fly
new reply
akmatov
Airman First Class

Passenger in the Back Seat possible?

Post by akmatov »

Still getting things set up and about to begin retraining. As much as I like the new Comanche 250, I've decided to buy the J-3 Cub first, which fully loaded is the same price as the Comanche. I think the Cub is both interesting and great value for money with tundra tires, skis and floats. Plus I can mess around with a tail dragger for the first time. Really like that there is an Accu-Sim package to bring it up to a high level of realism even though it is such a basic aircraft.

Watching some videos and got to wondering, can you put the passenger in the rear seat? Having a passenger along, and one so well scripted, certainly adds to the package. However, I want to fly from the front seat where I can see the gauges and were this for real I could control the side mounted controls.

Do you have scripted passengers for your other aircraft?

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Passenger in the Back Seat possible?

Post by n421nj »

Can only sit in rear seat. I guess this is because if you were soloing you would have to sit in rear seat anyways. Congrats on the purchase she's a great little plane and best sea plane physics on the market. No other plane has an interactive, visible passenger like Heidi. Not only will she make passive aggressive remarks if your flying skills are sub par but in multiplayer she will call out traffic for you. As for the gauges, if you hit the A key it will cycle through views. Some are to the sides and one is a close up on the instrument panel. Track IR is really needed for this plane. When I get it I'm sure it will revolutionize my flight sim experience again.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

dsiegrist
Airman

Post by dsiegrist »

You should be flying from the back seat. You will find that the gauges are not very important in the cub as it is a "By the Seat of Your Pants" kind of plane. You will use the visual clues from outside the aircraft much more than the gauges on the panel. The gauge resolution (divisions per foot or mph not clarity) are very course so are of very little use anyway.

Dave
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

akmatov
Airman First Class

Post by akmatov »

Great.

Pity Heidi doesn't fly with the other A2A aircraft, or does she? :)

This is one of two forums I lurk on and on which I rely for great, fast help.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Also the view from the front seat in a j3 is worse than the rear seat. The front seat is a little lower and you get a faceful of panel. It isn't bad once you get accustomed to looking in the correct places which are 10 and 2 o'clock.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

wvernonc
Airman

Post by wvernonc »

I have been in the front seat. You do not want to try to fly very long from the front. Cramped at best. Hard to NOT hit the brakes. Seat to low. Panel to high. All controls are reachable from the rear seat. Engine heat is reachable by using your toe beside the front seat. Some guys keep a metal rod handy to reach it. This plane is set up to duplicate the model example used. I love it!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes unlike the super cubs etc, the original J3 Cub was designed to be flown from the rear, the passenger seat is the front.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”