"Did I broked it?" (fuel cut-off)

Born to fly
new reply
Illi73
Staff Sergeant

"Did I broked it?" (fuel cut-off)

Post by Illi73 »

The typo in the title is a bit of a joke... but yes, I'm wondering if I broke something on my Piper cub.

I read in the manual that you should not try to switch the engine off by cutting off the fuel (for various reasons I don't spend time writing down here) -- but before I checked the manual, I tried because it seemed a logical thing to do. Then I found out it wasn't actually doing anything at all...

With the engine running, doing the following steps...

1. throttle to idle
2. cut the fuel
3. wait
4. wait
5. wait some more....

Nothing happens. The engine keeps running... in other words... the fuel isn't cut off?
Did I break something or am I missing something?
Could this be a bug, or oversight... or something else?

I'm a bit curious. Anyone experienced this too, or knows?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: "Did I broked it?" (fuel cut-off)

Post by Nick - A2A »

Illi73, what you're experiencing is probably the cunning Accu-Sim stuff at work. :) Fuel in the fuel line between the fuel cut off valve and engine is actually simulated. It'll take quite a while to use up that fuel after you cut it off - especially with the throttle at idle. However, you won't get very far if you try taking off! :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Nick M wrote:Illi73, what you're experiencing is probably the cunning Accu-Sim stuff at work. :) Fuel in the fuel line between the fuel cut off valve and engine is actually simulated. It'll take quite a while to use up that fuel after you cut it off - especially with the throttle at idle. However, you won't get very far if you try taking off! :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
Aha! I thought that it would probably be gone very soon if cut off... but indeed, if the throttle is at idle... maybe just a little squeezes through (just enough to keep the engine running) so it could take quite a while. Thanks for the answer! Maybe I should try (just to see that this is indeed the case) to open the throttle fully and ... hopefully I won't break the plane for real ;)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

If you want a challenge, turn off fuel while flying.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Heheh, I actually did that with another plane yesterday. Just to practice engine malfunction recovery. It is nice to practice these now and then.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Absolutely. With accusim it may happen when you least expect it
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”