Is the Piper Cub the only Accu-Sim plane with floats?

Born to fly
new reply
Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Is the Piper Cub the only Accu-Sim plane with floats?

Post by Illi73 »

I was looking over the (newest) Accu-Feel video again (the one linked in the shop, where the water-plane is shown at the end). That one got me interested in getting a float plane for some 'relaxing shore area low-flying VFR exploration trips.

Of course, having been spoiled with the wonderful Accu-Sim planes, I really can't go back to the plain-old FSX stock planes. They just don't "feel real" anymore, I'm sure you know what I mean.

So... I see that the Piper Cub comes with (exchangeable?) wheels, skis and also floats. My question is now, is this (currently) the only Accu-Sim plane which has floats? Basically I do really like the cockpit (or is that one also called flight-deck for smaller planes?) of the water-plane shown in the video, but that's an FSX stock plane as I found out. I did a bit of trial flying with that one today... but yeah, I want the real thing (so it's gonna be an A2A Accu-Sim or not at all for me ;) )

The Piper Cub also has the 'active passenger' (Heidi), which is kind of interesting and unique, so in that respect it is an interesting plane to get. On the other hand (it being a trainer plane, probably) I hear that it really tests your aerodynamic skills and that makes me wonder a little, whether it is that suitable as a 'relaxing shore exploration plane'? I know it won't go very fast (so I'm not using this one for traveling distances... I actually got myself the civ-Mustang for that a week ago, which took a bit getting used to for take-off - but I'm getting better at keeping it under control now, and landing still needs a lot of practice with that plane... the Cessna 182 and Piper Cherokee are getting pretty 'smooth in my hand' now -- so that all to give a bit of an idea of where I am right now). I'm not the best pilot, at all... and a little wondering how I will/can handle the Piper Cub. I heard also that 'after a little practice' it is actually not that hard to fly. And especially, it's also easy in the way that it's such a 'simple plane' that you don't have to do much, like control cowl flaps, carb heat, etc. etc.

I'm straying off a little from the subject, perhaps... but yeah. Any thoughts that you think could be helpful to me are welcome. And of course I would like to know if there's other Accu-Sim planes with floats that I can consider. :)

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Is the Piper Cub the only Accu-Sim plane with floats?

Post by taildraggin68 »

The cub is a great litle plane. Yes it is the only float A2A plane thus far, but the dynamics are what you would expect from A2A. If you can fly the P-51, you will not have any problems with the cub. A little patience, read the manual, run the updater, and go fly. You won't get there fast. But it is enjoyable with nervous Heidi :twisted:

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Thanks for the answer, taildraggin68!

I'm going to give it a go. I know it's not fast (I read a little in the pre-downloadable manual already and say the top speed is like 75mph (with half of that speed being stall speed. hm, interestingly small window where you can fly ;) )

Good to hear it isn't too harsh of a challenge, however. I did read a few posts on this part of the forum, hearing that several people mention they like to fly the cub.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Just make sure you run the updater afterwards, some nice goodies were added after release.

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Yep. I ran the updater as well. Thanks.

Anyway, I played a bit around with it (also love the tundra tires version, by the way! It's awesome to just go VFR and land somewhere on any rough terrain that looks suitable to get on the floor!)

The plane feels quite solid and is pretty fun and relaxing to fly. =) Compared to the P15 it's definitely easier to handle. =)

The trickiest part is (with the float version) that sometimes a wing goes far down while on the water (tip almost or just hitting the waves) and it becomes very hard to pull it straight again. I imagine it's because of crosswind blowing the (pretty light) plane over.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Here's to hoping the next release will be a surprise sea plane
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

n421nj wrote:Here's to hoping the next release will be a surprise sea plane
You mean... a SUBMARINE!? Hehe, just kidding!
If they really bring a surprise, I hope it's a chopper. Personally I really love the planes (because they go fast forward) but helicopters are a story on their own... Still, I wish for a two-engine plane more. Rooting for the Piper Seminole. ;)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Yeah I agree but a nice amphibian plane would be gold
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”