J-3 Adventures

Born to fly
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

J-3 Adventures

Post by Paughco »

I flew my Cub from First Air in Monroe, WA (W16) up to Harvey Field (S43), never getting much over a 1,000 ft altitude. A Piper Cherokee AI aircraft was doing touch and goes on 15R, which is the grass strip. It looked inviting, so I selected carb heat and pulled power and started a glide to approach behind the Cherokee. Everything was going fine on final until just before touchdown the airplane went into a steep bank. I managed to get it down in one piece. Took off again, and flew another pattern, and landed behind the Cherokee. This time, just as I was getting ready to flare, the same thing happened, only worse. We got down all right, but not necessarily in one piece. Fortunately the "Shift-7 Workshop" is always open and works very quickly. I took off and flew back to First Air.

What happened? Freak wind current? Something with Accu-Sim? Watch this! http://www.brainjet.com/random/10329/27 ... #slide/0/0. It's a "Flight Chops" video about wake turbulence. Hey, this is a J-3 landing behind a friggin' Cherokee, not a C-172 landing behind a Dash-8! I opened up Active Sky Next and turned wake turbulence down from the default 50 to 20. That should do it.

Next day I flew the same route, over to Harvey. The Cherokee was still there, only this time he was shooting touch and goes on 33L, which is the same grass strip, only going the other way. Let me tell you, I was really careful. Kept some extra speed, and was ready. Wake turbulence was not such an issue. I decided that I could taxi over to the Buzz-Inn for a burger. Met this hot babe. Said her name was Heidi, and she really needed a ride to Monroe. I didn't want to know what she had in her back pack. She was kind of nervous during the short flight over to First Air, but I managed to grease the landing and she didn't even whimper. Some guys showed up to pick her up in a flat black van and I rolled the cub back into her hanger.

Seeya
ATB

spork
Staff Sergeant

Re: J-3 Adventures

Post by spork »

Paughco wrote: I didn't want to know what she had in her back pack.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love the PNW.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Wonder if I could sneak the P-40 into Firstair? 2000 feet. Kinda short.

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great thing about sim land is that you can still try and try and try,.... and share your fortunes and challenge :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Wake turbulence is no joke
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”