A & P on the Piper Cub

Born to fly
new reply
GoggleEye
Senior Airman

A & P on the Piper Cub

Post by GoggleEye »

Airplanes has to have a annual and ever so many hours it must be inspected according to the F.A.A.. Can some one please give me the total number of hours on the inspection if the number of hours is reached prior to the annual? What is the maximum number of hours a engine can run before the overhaul? Believe it is 800 hours on a engine in order to pass the annual inspection? The total number of hours between oil changes?

Thank You
That's not flying, that's just falling with style

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: A & P on the Piper Cub

Post by Scott - A2A »

This is all different based on the engine and the aircraft manufacturer's recommendations.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

If you are interested in I section you can always find them here http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c= ... .5&idno=14

GoggleEye
Senior Airman

Post by GoggleEye »

Thank you for the information. Thought it was a set number of hours on any naturaly aspirated aircraft engine. Thanks on the hours of service information on annuals. The A2A Cub with a total of 1152 hours without a engine rebuild. Not sure if that is good or bad? The engine began belching a lot of black smoke. Then engine continued to run was not air worthy so did a rebuild and all is fine with the Cub. :roll:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We intentionally don't do internal engine wear 1:1 with reality (sometimes 1:2, so a 2000hr TBO would be about a 1000TBO in game), so I would say you are past TBO with that. However, the J3's engine was made to run open throttle much of the time, but still, like any engine if it wears more with higher power.

Some people can get 3000+ hrs from their engines when well taken care of.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GoggleEye
Senior Airman

Post by GoggleEye »

Thats why I try to run all of my engines at 1900 RPM and lower RPMS adjust the fuel mixture until the engine sounds good. Currious about the number of hours on the Cub. Was wondering how much weather conditions puts additional wear on the engine. Example two extremes be a -50 F to a +150 F Would these two temps put additional wear on the engine since you cannot change the viscosity of the oil?

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

TBO is recommended but in many cases not enforced .

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

A lot of fixed wing GA aircraft components are replaced 'On Condition', with no prescribed TBO as such. IIRC a 172 only has about 3 or 4?, one being the engine of course.
Then you move over to turbine helicopters like the 500 and you have about 30-40 compenents that are replaced on strict time limits, differing even based on the particular s/n of that particular part.

CAA took a lot of interest in one place I worked where the maint boss was just writing down the s/n of the highest-life part in the log, regardless of the s/n that was actually fitted to the aircraft. Example 2 variants of a particular p/n blade bolt, -1 is 200 hrs, -2 is 400 hrs TBO...guess what one went in the maint log? :shock:
Only found out when he asked me to audit the documents before CAA were due back for a 'follow up' inspection! After working in military aviation, GA is a different world....
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”