VFR flying in the old Cub! And Altitude question?

Born to fly
new reply
DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Hello everyone,

I have recently started a flight sim blog. Below are two post about flights with the A2A Piper Cub!

Backcountry flying through Idaho
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... 78-to.html

VFR Niagrara Falls
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/2013/1 ... -cysn.html

I just love the Cub and wish everyone would purchase this exceptional airplane! :lol: :D :o

One question. Is there a limitation as to how high an area the Cub is typically flown? (In real world)
For example KJAC airport in Yellowstone has an elevation of 6500 ft! Not a lot of engine power for takeoff in the old cub at this altitude ! Would we realistically see the cub in this area?
For my Idaho trip, I was landing and taking off around around 4600 feet and it was quite an experience !

B.
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: VFR flying in the old Cub! And Altitude question?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very nice, thanks for posting, that little cub has certainly been a popular simulation for us 8)

You might want to also check out our Accu-sim C172 Trainer, she can get in and out some little places too but with slightly more grunt under the hood.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I believe the cub has been flown up to 10K feet at the very limit of its capability with 2 light passengers. Their story is covered in the book "Flight of Passage".

I would not want to try that in a drafty J-3 cockpit with an ineffective heater. I can only imagine how long it would take to climb up that high while barely making any progress due to the winds aloft. :shock:

I am not sure how popular the J-3 is at high altitude airports. I suspect it is not because it is not a very good climber even at sea level.

That aside it is still one of my favorite airplanes to fly.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I don't know if the A2A models mixture control capability in their Cub. But I asked my wife who used to own and fly one. The highest her Cub ever reached was around 5000ft, and that was after quite a bit of time and effort. She did know of at least one pilot who flew his Cub from the Central California coast to Minden, Nevada. He was a very experienced glider pilot and made use of thermals to gain enough altitude to safely make the jump over the Sierras.

Sadly, she sold her Cub just a few weeks before we met. I Know.... :( :(

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Thanks everyone :D

This just the sort of information I was looking for!

B.
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

As far as I can tell with the cub there is a simple fuel on/off lever that's it. No leaning or enriching. So the higher you go the less power you will have. I have been doing a cross the USA flight in the cub and flying through the Rockies was very interesting. Never want to do it in real life but I think I managed to get up around 9500 ft and she was sluggish and very mushy on the controls.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

Oracle427 wrote:I believe the cub has been flown up to 10K feet at the very limit of its capability with 2 light passengers. Their story is covered in the book "Flight of Passage".
That is a very good book, BTW. I don't think it was a J-3, maybe a Super Cub (more hp and a mixture control?)

Don't forget the great Stearman men!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Li'lJugs wrote:
Oracle427 wrote:I believe the cub has been flown up to 10K feet at the very limit of its capability with 2 light passengers. Their story is covered in the book "Flight of Passage".
That is a very good book, BTW. I don't think it was a J-3, maybe a Super Cub (more hp and a mixture control?)

Don't forget the great Stearman men!
Indeed, "Flight of Passage" is a very good read. I actually bought it after reading about it here on the A2A-forum.

Their Cub was an 85 hp job, but still without a mixture-control and no radios. The flight through the Rockies is an amazing read. Will probably try to replicate that trip some day - paper charts and all. :-)

---

Regarding the topic - I usually keep around one or two thousand feet AGL. The sightseeing is better, and I don't have to spend my whole life climbing. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Medtner wrote:Indeed, "Flight of Passage" is a very good read. I actually bought it after reading about it here on the A2A-forum.

Their Cub was an 85 hp job, but still without a mixture-control and no radios. The flight through the Rockies is an amazing read. Will probably try to replicate that trip some day - paper charts and all. :-)
Is this the book by Jon Martin Watts? The 'blurb' about it in iBooks describes it thus: "A space traveler's search for a downed scout ship and its crew turns up a stone-age civilization with an astonishing and poignant history."

Doesn't sound like a Cub adventure to me :lol:
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

There is no mixture control for the J3. I believe RW aircraft normally operating at higher altitudes, would have their carbs set for the higher altitudes. Although you cannot do this with the J3, you can cheat a little. Set auto mixture on in FSX. For this plane only.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Flight of Passage: A Memoir
by Rinker Buck

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Passage-Me ... 0786883154

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

DC3 wrote:Flight of Passage: A Memoir
by Rinker Buck

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Passage-Me ... 0786883154
Many thanks DC3 :)
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Just ordered "Flight of Passage" from King County Library System. Will check it out.

Seeya
ATB

jimcarrel
Senior Airman

Post by jimcarrel »

"Flight of Passage" is excellent (wish I could remember what I did with it) After reading it, I went out, bought a World Atlas and mapped out their flight. It was fun. Fun factor was probably amped up a bit by being able to use A2A's cub.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'll have to get this
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”