Gyroscopic precession?

Born to fly
new reply
sdflyer
Senior Airman

Gyroscopic precession?

Post by sdflyer »

Hello,

First of all, I want to congratulate developers with an excellent J-3 model I really enjoy it! However, I do miss "stick and rudder" feel

So far I have noticed that "wheel" and "tundra" variants of J-3 do not require use of rudder control at all during take off and climb :(
There is no gyroscopic precession when I rise a tail on take off. There is also no need to compensate for P-factor during a climb! I don't feel any torque during take off or during abrupt application.
Do you guys still plan to work on those "prop effects"?

Thanks

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Re: Gyroscopic precession?

Post by Jigsaw »

I suggest that you read page 50 (56/126) of the manual. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

sdflyer wrote:Hello,

First of all, I want to congratulate developers with an excellent J-3 model I really enjoy it! However, I do miss "stick and rudder" feel

So far I have noticed that "wheel" and "tundra" variants of J-3 do not require use of rudder control at all during take off and climb :(
There is no gyroscopic precession when I rise a tail on take off. There is also no need to compensate for P-factor during a climb! I don't feel any torque during take off or during abrupt application.
Do you guys still plan to work on those "prop effects"?

Thanks
The Cub's flight model is actually quite accurate. Although the left turning effects you mention, as well as slipstream effect which you didn't mention, are present as power is applied and as the Cub's prop arc rotates in pitch and is misaligned with the relative wind, the effects are quite small and easily corrected due to the lack of power and the size of the propeller. A pilot flying the real Cub for any length of time will find the correction needed so slight that it's hardly noticeable and becomes an automatic reflex action when needed.
I would respectfully suggest that if having these effects is your cup of tea, you simply sit tight until the Accusim package is finished for the new P51 in FSX. I don't think you'll be disappointed !:-)
Dudley Henriques

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Dudley Henriques wrote:
The Cub's flight model is actually quite accurate. Although the left turning effects you mention, as well as slipstream effect which you didn't mention, are present as power is applied and as the Cub's prop arc rotates in pitch and is misaligned with the relative wind, the effects are quite small and easily corrected due to the lack of power and the size of the propeller. A pilot flying the real Cub for any length of time will find the correction needed so slight that it's hardly noticeable and becomes an automatic reflex action when needed.
I would respectfully suggest that if having these effects is your cup of tea, you simply sit tight until the Accusim package is finished for the new P51 in FSX. I don't think you'll be disappointed !:-)
Dudley Henriques

Hi Dudley,
You are right, I haven't mentioned slipstream because it's in fact noticeable in A2A model :) I don't expect to have full rudder deflection on the take off in J3, but taking off without any rudder seems wrong to me. Again I have tried Cub on floats and it behaves more realistic to me.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

sdflyer wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Dudley Henriques

Hi Dudley,
You are right, I haven't mentioned slipstream because it's in fact noticeable in A2A model :) I don't expect to have full rudder deflection on the take off in J3, but taking off without any rudder seems wrong to me. Again I have tried Cub on floats and it behaves more realistic to me.
I took a good look at the takeoff behavior during the beta for just the reasons you are profiling. I honestly don't recall flying any of the J3's, and we had several at different times on the field that we used for both training and photo work, when I found the left turning effects any issue at all. The PA18 with a 150 Lycoming in it needed some right rudder but the little ole' J3 was an absolute dream to fly. All you had to do was lower the nose and it tracked as straight as an arrow until it lifted itself into the air all by itself with that high cambered wing it had.
I've always considered the left turning effects Microsoft put into their default Cub as being extremely excessive and in fact discussed the issue with Aces during the FSX beta program.
To me anyway, the A2A J3 feels perfectly normal. Remember, there's only a 65 Continental up there. The 90 had a bit of torque but even that was practically unnoticeable on takeoff.
The larger Lycomings used in the PA18's did indeed require some rudder correction but again nothing to write home about :-))
DH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

SD please check your realism settings are set according to the manual for the aircraft to function correctly.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

sdflyer wrote:I don't expect to have full rudder deflection on the take off in J3, but taking off without any rudder seems wrong to me. Again I have tried Cub on floats and it behaves more realistic to me.
In other words you'd like to have an unrealistic handling because the realisitic one feels less realistic to you, did I get that right? ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Dudley Henriques wrote:
I took a good look at the takeoff behavior during the beta for just the reasons you are profiling. I honestly don't recall flying any of the J3's, and we had several at different times on the field that we used for both training and photo work, when I found the left turning effects any issue at all. The PA18 with a 150 Lycoming in it needed some right rudder but the little ole' J3 was an absolute dream to fly. All you had to do was lower the nose and it tracked as straight as an arrow until it lifted itself into the air all by itself with that high cambered wing it had.
I've always considered the left turning effects Microsoft put into their default Cub as being extremely excessive and in fact discussed the issue with Aces during the FSX beta program.
To me anyway, the A2A J3 feels perfectly normal. Remember, there's only a 65 Continental up there. The 90 had a bit of torque but even that was practically unnoticeable on takeoff.
The larger Lycomings used in the PA18's did indeed require some rudder correction but again nothing to write home about :-))
DH

Ok I tried again seems like there is some little rudder needed. I haven't flown Cub with 65 h.p., so I'll take you word for that !

P.S. Stock microsoft Cub was way off :)

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Lewis - A2A wrote:SD please check your realism settings are set according to the manual for the aircraft to function correctly.
Thanks Lewis I did set up realism setting as recommended. And again excellent model of J-3, I very enjoy it! Good job guys!

sdflyer
Senior Airman

Post by sdflyer »

Jigsaw wrote:
In other words you'd like to have an unrealistic handling because the realisitic one feels less realistic to you, did I get that right? ;)

Jigsaw,
I have never flown this particular J-3 model, but I did fly Citabria, Decathlon, SNJ-4 and fifteen other types of aircraft. Answering on your question: no I don't want unrealistic handling I just expressed my opinion based on my experience that's all .

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

I fly an 85hp Cub regularly and there is very little rudder required to correct for torque on take off even if you gun the throttle.
The same is true for climb out.
In comparison a Cessna 172 requires a ton of rudder while climbing to keep it straight.

Hope this helps.
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”