My first flight with the Cub

Born to fly
new reply
Zorg12
Senior Airman

My first flight with the Cub

Post by Zorg12 »

YCNK - YPEC

I just took the standard yellow Piper Cub from Cessnock to Aeropelican in Australia. No Heidi along for this first flight. I took my time familiarizing myself to the cockpit (didn't take very long :) and listed to all the sounds from the controls. It was very immersive combined with Cessnock's ambient sound effects. After engine start and warm up, I practiced balancing the Cub in the air by throttling up while stepping on the brakes and pulling slightly forward on the stick. Cool 8)

I taxied and took off smoothly with no problem (taxiing felt very realistic - love the sound of the brake pedals :)
I climbed to 5000 feet and closed the window on the way up to get cabin temp comfortable. I did an air restart of the engine and performed a few stalls. Great fun!

Landing a Aeropelican went well, even though I used a lot of runway to settle down. The Cub is now parked in a hangar and the engine has now had little over 1 hour of operation time. I'll bring Heidi for the next leg to Warnervale.

What an amazing aircraft - Very lively and charming. I feel I get to see the terrain in a whole new way because of the very low cruise speed. You have done an excellent job with this, it's everything I hoped for! I like your videos a lot too (they inspired my to buy this).

Technical issue:

I noticed a sound issue on a second short test flight. A lot of the sounds disappeared after some time (actually they became very very low). The sound of the door and air when the door is open and the carb heat button for example. The only way to get the sounds back was to load a new Cub. I don't have this problem with any other aircraft including your P-47D and B377 (both with accusim).

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Re: My first flight with the Cub

Post by Jigsaw »

I had a similar issue when flying from YCNK to YPEC. Heidi went silent and only started talking again, when I reloaded the aircraft. I dismissed it as a fluke because I used the replay during that flight, but maybe there is more to it. Didn't happen ever since, though.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

GoRND
Airman Basic

Post by GoRND »

Heidi went silent and only started talking again, when I reloaded the aircraft.
:) Well I don't know. I was flying along on a leisurely flight and after some initial comments Heidi (Fun personality) didn't say much for quite some time, probably close to 20 minutes then out of the blue while I was engrossed in looking for a small airfield she asks me some question. She startled me so bad that I didn't even catch what she said. I was looking over my shoulder to see who was talking and everything :oops: :twisted: :lol:

I did have some issues when I first tried the Cub, in DX10, but I've since updated drivers and DirectX and have been using the DX9 and all is very good now. Just one very small thing though hehe.

While flying along just above the wave tops in the Tundra tire Cub, I got this uncontrollable urge to try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1tmnwi ... D&index=64

Remembering the crash effects A2A had in the B17, etc. I thought I may be able to pull this off but alas as soon as my tires touched the water ... crash and reset. :cry: :cry: I really thought they may have squeezed this effect in. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by GoRND on 07 Sep 2009, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

GoRND wrote:
Heidi went silent and only started talking again, when I reloaded the aircraft.
:) Well I don't know. I was flying along on a leisurely flight and after some initial comments Heidi (Fun personality) didn't say much for quite some time, probably close to 20 minutes then out of the blue while I was engrossed in looking for a small airfield she asks me some question. She startled me so bad that I didn't even catch what she said. I was looking over my shoulder to see who was talking and everything :oops: :twisted: :lol:
Hehe! Well, I'm sure that Heidi was silent, because I flew with the nervous one and opened the door midflight, did some knife edges and even a looping. She didn't say a word. ;)

While flying along just above the wave tops in the Tundra tire Cub, I got this uncontrollable erg to try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1tmnwi ... D&index=64

Remembering the crash effects A2A had in the B17, etc. I thought I may be able to pull this off but alas as soon as my tires touched the water ... crash and reset. :cry: :cry: I really thought they may have squeezed this effect in. :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I tried this as well. Didn't work, unfortunately. Would have been cool, but I guess this is were FSX can't be pushed any further. The prop breaks off when you grounds strike it, though. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Zorg12
Senior Airman

Post by Zorg12 »

Based on a flight with no sound problems I think maybe I've solved the issue. I entered sound setup in Windows 7 and under communications I disabled a thing that lowers volume when Windows detects communication activity.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

That already was deactivated on my end. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, be aware that if you do something crazy enough to get her to scream, she will go quiet for some time. You just need to mellow out for 10 min or so, and she will become more comfortable.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GoRND
Airman Basic

Post by GoRND »

Yes, be aware that if you do something crazy enough to get her to scream, she will go quiet for some time. You just need to mellow out for 10 min or so, and she will become more comfortable.

Scott.
Oh my. The silent treatment. Now that is getting realistic. Perhaps a bit too much. :P

Zorg12
Senior Airman

Post by Zorg12 »

GoRND wrote:Oh my. The silent treatment. Now that is getting realistic. Perhaps a bit too much. :P
LOL!

The sound issue remains. The setting in Windows 7 sound options didn't do the trick. However, I found that lowering accusim sounds volume a bit and raising it back up fixes the disappearing sounds.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”