Hello developers

Born to fly
ZLwaddell
Airman Basic

Hello developers

Post by ZLwaddell »

I was watching the Youtube videos tonight of the upcoming Cub. Looking great! I have one question/comment/suggestion. I'm not sure if anyone else, be it development or prospective customers, has mentioned it: I regularly fly a J-3 Cub out of a near by 900' airstrip. When starting, my habit is to start only on the left magneto. As the left magneto is the only mag with a booster coil, it's the only mag that the engine can be started on (you'll be trying for a while on the right magneto). Of course the engine can be started on "both", but trying to start on the right is next to impossible. I'm curious as to if you're modeling this intricacy.

Also, being that I regularly fly out of a short (to the Cessna I fly, anyway) strip, I'm very curious as to how the Accu-Sim Cub is going t handle, especially during "short field" takeoffs/landings.

Lastly, I noticed the buffeting camera during stall. It seemed a little exaggerated compared to the real thing. Is this a a design feature or else?
[img]<a%20href="http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... flyin"></a>[/img]

skunker
Senior Airman

Re: Hello developers

Post by skunker »

ZL,
I fly a Cub, too. I'm not a developer. I don't see how the mag issue is really needing to be modeled in the game as I dont' experience that type of behavior in the Cub. However, I'll try it next time I fly.

Short Field takeoff handling...If the Cub is modeled like the real thing, it should act like the real thing on short field takeoff....

Stall...yes, I agree..I felt that the stall buffeting effect was a little too much on the exaggerrated side, but that's something I"m willing to overlook as long as the flight model is as accurate as possible.

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

Hi there,
For my 15th birthday I am going to recieve a flight in a WWII Texan (Harvard), and am going to be doing some pretty serious aerobatics :)

But first, a friend of my fathers is taking me to do some aero's in a supercub as practice, which will be great fun I'm sure...
Any way, what are the limits on the cubs manuverability, and aerobatic limit?

would just like to know?

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

I was going to get some flight lessons in a T6 when my instructor died of a heart attack that morning. To think, what would have happened had I been in the T6 when he died....could I have landed it? I had never flown before. I dont' know...but if the T6 was modeled by accu-sim ...I could probably have landed it. 8)

You said your're going up in a Supercub...those are AWESOME aircraft. Actually, they are my dream plane to own...but I can't afford them. So, I'm stuck with a J3 Cub...no problem...they are just as fun (just everything is slower). As for limits on the Cubs...are you talking about J3 or Supercub?

Check this vid out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkCVybT9w0Q

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

For the vast majority of actual and wannabe pilots, who have never have flown the Cub/Supercub, IMHO this level of fidelity would be lost, and not worth the extra programming time.

Just my opinion...
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

The supercub is what he's taking me up in...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

letsgetrowdy wrote:Hi there,
For my 15th birthday I am going to recieve a flight in a WWII Texan (Harvard), and am going to be doing some pretty serious aerobatics :)

But first, a friend of my fathers is taking me to do some aero's in a supercub as practice, which will be great fun I'm sure...
Any way, what are the limits on the cubs manuverability, and aerobatic limit?

would just like to know?
I'm sure the pilot you will be flying with in the Super Cub (PA18) will be aware of this, but reading your post I want to make absolutely clear that YOU are aware as well, that the Super Cub is NOT certificated for aerobatics. The PA18 is a wonderful airplane and can take a lot of punishment, but the airplane is certificated in the normal category with a utility envelope under a specific gross weight.
What this amounts to basically is that in the PA18 you can perform stalls, and spins with slow deceleration, chandells and lazy eights, but NO aerobatics other than that are approved.
This doesn't mean the airplane can't do these maneuvers, but it does mean that it's not approved for them for a VERY good reason! To be certifictaed as aerobatic, an aircraft needs to be certified for +6 and -3 g's respectfully, and the Cub simply isn't certificated to take that much stress.
All this having been said, I'm sure your pilot will be aware of these things and act accordingly.
Have a great flight, and have fun. You will like the Cub and you will LOVE flying the T6.
I was an instructor in the 6 and if I can help you in any way to prepare for your flight, just let me know.
Best to you,
Dudley Henriques

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

Thanks for the heads up Dudley, nice to hear from some one who really KNOWS what their talking about, I'll notify you if I need any questions answered.

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

And you gotta wear a parachute when doing aerobatics.

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

Yeh I know. I had to when I did some aeros in a tiger moth, Did two stall turns, roll and loop :D

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

Hmmmm, I spent an hour doing aeros over Cockburn Sound here in Western Australia in a Tigermoth VH-FAS and did not have to wear a chute.

We did a pretty full range of maneuvers including spins, stalls and wing overs.

Cheers,

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

maxter wrote:Hmmmm, I spent an hour doing aeros over Cockburn Sound here in Western Australia in a Tigermoth VH-FAS and did not have to wear a chute.

We did a pretty full range of maneuvers including spins, stalls and wing overs.

Cheers,

Maxter,

In Australia it is not mandatory to wear parachutes for aeros. The argument goes that in most cases where they would be needed a pilot would probably not be able to safely exit the aircraft anyway. In addition there is the risk that a pilot may prematurely abandon an aircraft, possibly letting it crash into a built up area. It is a judgement call by CASA. Personally I have never missed a 'chute and wouldn't want to wear one. I have only ever been in one situation where it may have become useful but in that case I would have been too low by the time it became obvious the aircraft was not going to recover. When my time is up, it will be up. And it ain't up just yet..obviously.

Also, to endorse what Dudley so eloquently points out.. most people I have seen doing aerobatics in non rated aircraft are NOT aerobatically endorsed anyway....if they were they would KNOW how foolish it is. Aerobatics are not dangerous in the main and many are performed at +1g if done correctly....but messing them up IS dangerous...that is precisely why the +6 / -3 G limit is there even for those aeros which SHOULD be done at positive 1g..to give the structural strength to stand the pullout if you $%%^%# them up. I once pulled 5.5g in a 30 year old C152 Aerobat to get out of a failed manouver. Very embarrasing if you are in a Supercub rated to 3g.....

JayKae
Airman

Post by JayKae »

There is another argument mate...we just plain crazy ;) lol jk

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

Tony Hill wrote: Maxter,

In Australia it is not mandatory to wear parachutes for aeros.
Thanks for the explanation Tony, it was very much appreciated. Interesting that we (Oz vs US) have such differing views on the need for chutes... I wouldn't have thunk it :D

Cheers mate,

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Guys,

On the stall buffeting, yes, we intentionally exaggerated this with a bit of artistic license. As you can see with our in-cockpit videos in the real Cub, the stall is smooth. We have since toned this down for beta, but we will have a little buffetting just to simulate the feel you get in the controls and the seat in the stall.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”