P51D Flap extend Speed

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
Mudhen
Airman Basic

P51D Flap extend Speed

Post by Mudhen »

The flaps take 75 seconds to either extend or retract. Is this normal? I can hardly believe it.
Thanks, MH

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: P51D Flap extend Speed

Post by DHenriques_ »

Mudhen wrote:The flaps take 75 seconds to either extend or retract. Is this normal? I can hardly believe it.
Thanks, MH
The flaps should make the full range either way in about 15 seconds.
Dudley Henriques

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

That's what I thought. Fifteen seconds sounds more reasonable. Anyone have an idea what to do about this? Reinstall? Strange.
MH

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I recall our FM guy at that time reading something about hydraulic pressure being low at idle, as this is how FSX simulated this. After we tested several P-51's flying today, we found this was not accurate.

Go to 9:13 at this video of our Accu-Sim P-51 in development. It shows the flaps in operation:
[youtubehd1002 606]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTL8KtJawTQ[/youtubehd]

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

Great video! I didn't watch the entire thing or turn on the sound because it's getting late here and my spouse is asleep. I'll watch it again in the morning. I didn't see any flap activity at 9:13, but at 10:57, shortly arfter rocking the plane to lock the gear down, there was an inset that showed the P-51 on the ground, presumably at idle, and I could see that the flaps extended quite rapidly. I don't get this response.

I'll try again in the morning and will increase RPM a bit to see if that helps. If not, I'll try extending them in flight. When I extend flaps while on the ground, I would expect to see the same response as in the video. So I may still be puzzled about this. If I don't se an improvement, I'll have to come back and see if you have any further suggestions.

Thanks and Best Regards, Gary

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Mudhen,

What I am saying is, the flaps are slow in our old FS9/FSX P-51 (was made almost 5 years ago, time flies). For the past 3+ years, we have been developing our own Accu-Sim engine that is currently plugged into FSX. The video you are seeing is that new Accu-Sim P-51 in development.

You have to listen to the sound, as you will hear the pilot drop the flaps and we actually timed it.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

I think I understand now. You're saying that I'm actually using the 5-year old P-51, which is known to have slow flap operation, correct? And you are developing your own engine so the flaps will operate at the speed shown in the video. Have I got it now? Is so, do you have a target date for a beta release?
MH

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Just hang in there sunshine :-) just like the rest of us the P40 is going to be released before the P-51
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The existing P-51d was created for Microsoft FS9, then upgraded to FSX later. We have been developing an all new P-51 built with the help of our Accu-Sim engine. We do not have an ETA on the new P-51. Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Patience is more than a virtue, it is a necessity! We got our first 'work in progress' glimpses of the FSX Mustang way back in March of 2009...

I don't think we'll have to wait another 2-3 years, but it is fair to say that the new P-51 will be released only when it is completed to the team's satisfaction.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

P-51D would be nice before I pass away...LOL

Question how are some able to post video's like they are embedded and all I can do is provide a link to it..???

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

[youtube] PLACE LINK HERE [/youtube)

NOTE:
There is a ) instead of a ] for the last part so this would show as text.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

Please everyone. I am patient. I'm more than willing to wait as long as it takes to produce the quality product that the A2A folks want to give us. I was simply asking a question. This is not a burning issue for me. Good grief.
MH

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”