Flaps??

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Flaps??

Post by Air_Wolf »

Hey;

How do you control and see flaps going down for take off position???

Well, after several attempts at it..I finally figure it out..twice I managed to take off..trick is start off slowly then progress to a faster speed and let the plane do the rest with a little pull back on the stick..not much though causes the tail to hit the ground that causes more problems..

Landing is another story but did manage to land with out too much problems other than ran out of runway..LOL

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Flaps??

Post by DHenriques_ »

Air_Wolf wrote:Hey;

Well, after several attempts at it..I finally figure it out..twice I managed to take off..trick is start off slowly then progress to a faster speed and let the plane do the rest with a little pull back on the stick..not much though causes the tail to hit the ground that causes more problems..

Landing is another story but did manage to land with out too much problems other than ran out of runway..LOL
It's notable that normal takeoffs in the 51 are made with the flaps UP. The "take off" position at 20 degrees (the flap handle housing should be marked at every 10 degrees from 10 through 50. Actually the last full down is 47 degrees)
is only used when runway length is an issue. At 20 degrees flaps, the wing's lift capability is maximized at a lower airspeed and earlier rotation becomes possible.
Dudley Henriques

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Dudley Henriques wrote:

It's notable that normal takeoffs in the 51 are made with the flaps UP. The "take off" position at 20 degrees (the flap handle housing should be marked at every 10 degrees from 10 through 50. Actually the last full down is 47 degrees)
is only used when runway length is an issue. At 20 degrees flaps, the wing's lift capability is maximized at a lower airspeed and earlier rotation becomes possible.
Dudley Henriques
Okay cool but what if you wish to use flaps for a short runway..it helps reduce the plane speed...plus do we see the flaps..going down with this model...???

PS: How do we use the flaps..what keystokes..???

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Air_Wolf wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Dudley Henriques
Okay cool but what if you wish to use flaps for a short runway..it helps reduce the plane speed...plus do we see the flaps..going down with this model...???

PS: How do we use the flaps..what keystokes..???

You can check flap position 2 ways. You can view them in motion and set in any position by using the view hat and physically taking a look at them on the wings as you're flying, or you can use the same hat to look at the flap handle. There is a black placard on it that lists the settings.
As to seeing them on the model. You can see them in motion and set in position on any model.
DH

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Okay cool then I must be doing something wrong..in FSX control settings the key bindings are " Shift+G " for flaps..or is it something different???

I will try again using the cockpit switches..first now..thanks

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Air_Wolf wrote:Okay cool then I must be doing something wrong..in FSX control settings the key bindings are " Shift+G " for flaps..or is it something different???

The normal keyboard assignments for the flaps are F5 F6 F7 and F8. F6 and 7 are incremental. The other two are up and down full.
Try these. They can as well be assigned to a controller in the FSX controller settings assignments section.
DH

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Air_Wolf wrote:Okay cool then I must be doing something wrong..in FSX control settings the key bindings are " Shift+G " for flaps..or is it something different???

The normal keyboard assignments for the flaps are F5 F6 F7 and F8. F6 and 7 are incremental. The other two are up and down full.
Try these. They can as well be assigned to a controller in the FSX controller settings assignments section.
DH

Doh!....LOL I don't know why I didn't remember that..I guess I was thinking that the P-51D was using different settings..my bad..well now to set up my TH joystick for it...many thanks...
:D

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Well, I've done two different take offs..with/without flaps..the without flaps I managed a better take off..also did two short runway landings..with/without flaps..one very successful the other flipped at the end..too much speed coming in..LOL

Will post a video of these..if interested...

Loving it...

Many thanks..

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Post by mountainhighair »

Some Mustangs have the black and white decal located at the front pivotal head of each flap. I believe these were SOP from NAA and are often not replaced on modern Mustangs. Dudley knows more about this than I do. These are hidden when flaps are up and show alternating black and white stripes for 10 20 30 40 & 50 degrees. 3 black and 2 white just like D-Day stripes. I put these on my repaints unless historical accuracy has me deleting them. I will be putting them on "By Request".
These are them on Bad Petie. The model distorts them tremendously but are still useful.

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

Speaking of the P51D flaps, they extend and retract unbelievably slowly, whether I use the flaps lever in VC mode, the F8 and F5 keys, or an axis assignment on my stick. It takes a full 75 seconds to make the complete transition. Is this normal?
MH

Mudhen
Airman Basic

Post by Mudhen »

Speaking of the P51D flaps, they extend and retract unbelievably slowly, whether I use the flaps lever in VC mode, the F8 and F5 keys, or an axis assignment on my stick. It takes a full 75 seconds to make the complete transition. Is this normal?
MH

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”