The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 pm 
Airman First Class

I discovered yesterday it was difficult to climb above 11,000 feet in the Mustang. Today flight tests revealed the engine stopped producing power above 13,500. At first I thought the engine had quit but soon discovered the prop was still turning at 2,500 rpm. So I did a test flight starting at 25,000 where I encountered the same problem. The manifold pressure had dropped to 10 and recovered to normal pressures when I descended below 13,500. It is though the supercharger had quit. My instrument panel has a high blower switch but the switch cannot be used.

The software is WOP WW2 Fighters.

Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 pm 
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania
There seems to be a problem with FSX and the way reciprocating engines work as altitude increases. It is not generally noticable with GA aircraft as you rarely fly above 12,000 but Warbirds are affected.

If it is of any comfort, Accu-sim completely overcomes this limitation...so when the '51 is done, the problem will dissapear.

Sorry, I can't comment on the technical side of what the problem is, just the practical that you have already experienced.

Darryl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:58 am 
Airman First Class

Further testing reveals it is not just a problem with FSX. It does the same thing in FS2004.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am 
Staff Sergeant

make sure your changing the mixture control as you increase altitude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am 
Airman First Class

The Flight manual says the mixture is to be set to automatic throughout all flight regimes.

I discovered today the P-47 does not have a problem with loss of power at altitude. So I went into the Aircraft.cfg files of both aircraft and compared the engine settings. Somehow the P-51 cfg file had the critical altitude setting to 24,000 (+/-) and all the turbocharger settings were set to zero. So I reset the P-51 to the same settings as the P-47 and went flying. Voila! No loss of power.

The settings for the P-51 are probably set too low but at least it works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 pm 
Airman

Sounds to me like your supercharger is not in auto mode. Above like, 12-14,000 feet, the supercharger will automatically switch to high speed and you should have plenty of power.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
VIP Partner

Keep in mind, prior to the WOP3 Mustang, the blower is not accessible on the P-51. This all changed with Accu-Sim, but the original Mustang developed for FS2004 does not have this option. The biggest single problem you are running into is that the mixture needs to be adjusted in order to get proper power output, since this predates the auto mixture coding that was done with the first Accu-Sim aircraft, the 377.

There are two ways to get the aircraft to perform properly, first set the auto-mixture on in settings or alternatively in the aircraft.cfg set the automixture there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:09 am 
A2A General

elparker,

This almost sounds like a problem in FSX's SimConnect. Just leave your mixture in RUN. Make sure your RAM AIR on the lower left panel in the cockpit is set to RAM.

When you take off, full throttle, 3000RPM, what manifold pressure do you see?
What is it at 7,000ft?
12,000 feet?

Scott.