Cannot do a loop

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
Marvin
Airman

Cannot do a loop

Post by Marvin »

Every time I loop or roll over to inverted flight my plane goes into an uncontrolled rolling.
What am I doing wrong?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Cannot do a loop

Post by CodyValkyrie »

The P-51 has great elevator authority. You will find in a loop, you want to enter it at no less than 250MPH indicated. Go easy on the elevator and make a nice planned loop. At the top, you will be nearly hanging, but you will be able to use more elevator without loss of control. Remember, small movements are key, too much elevator anywhere and you will be put into an accelerated stall. You may need some rudder at the top of the loop.

As far as I can tell, it just takes some practice. I have been doing loops in the Mustang for quite some time in FS, and I can't remember specifically when or how long it took to learn. Just remember, speed is your friend.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

There could be an FS memory issue here. My planes do very strange things if I have the scenery detail turned up too high. Try scaling back the detail, or simply fly over a sparsely populated area.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Marvin
Airman

Post by Marvin »

Duh.....I had the mixture wrong... Now it gets above 250 mph and flys fine.

GlennC
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by GlennC »

One other thought: Be sure the fuselage tank is empty or close to it. 85 gallons (if I remember right) times the standard 6 pounds per gallon puts about 500 pounds aft of the center of gravity.

Glenn

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Okay here is a video I did and at the end is a low level high speed pass leading to a high Loop..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVDjnDMqy7I

Cheers

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Air_Wolf wrote:Okay here is a video I did and at the end is a low level high speed pass leading to a high Loop..

Cheers
Just some suggestions;

First of all, get rid of the drop tanks. The 51 handles a lot better without them. Never have them on for aerobatics.
Takeoff; power in slowly but faster than you seem to be applying it. Rotate with less pitch input. Just raise the tailwheel a bit then let the 51 fly itself off the runway. It will rotate naturally as the gross weight is matched by the increasing lift force.
Try keeping the initial climb rate a bit lower. Just use nose attitude to maintain around 175.
On the loop, you will need right rudder and some right aileron as you pass vertical on the way up the vertical line. Try and keep a centered ball and shoot for about 150 over the top.
One thing; as you ease off the g at the top of a loop in the 51 don't take all of the g off. The Mustang will climb inverted and into a possible inverted power on stall which can get downright interesting. Just keep some positive g on the airplane through the top and you should do fine.

Dudley Henriques

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Air_Wolf wrote:Okay here is a video I did and at the end is a low level high speed pass leading to a high Loop..

Cheers
Just some suggestions;

First of all, get rid of the drop tanks. The 51 handles a lot better without them. Never have them on for aerobatics.
Takeoff; power in slowly but faster than you seem to be applying it. Rotate with less pitch input. Just raise the tailwheel a bit then let the 51 fly itself off the runway. It will rotate naturally as the gross weight is matched by the increasing lift force.
Try keeping the initial climb rate a bit lower. Just use nose attitude to maintain around 175.
On the loop, you will need right rudder and some right aileron as you pass vertical on the way up the vertical line. Try and keep a centered ball and shoot for about 150 over the top.
One thing; as you ease off the g at the top of a loop in the 51 don't take all of the g off. The Mustang will climb inverted and into a possible inverted power on stall which can get downright interesting. Just keep some positive g on the airplane through the top and you should do fine.

Dudley Henriques
Thanks for the tips..

Question how do I remove the tanks before the take off...also I did do a high speed stall already but I pulled out of it and recovered..I learned this technic from a retired Naval Flight Instructor..who know flys the VRS SuperBug which I also fly with him in his Squadron..I will try to do a video of this high speed stall out and recovery..

Cheers..

Still lots to learn on this baby and my video editing is also a learning process..

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Air_Wolf wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Cheers
Just some suggestions;

Dudley Henriques
Thanks for the tips..

Question how do I remove the tanks before the take off...also I did do a high speed stall already but I pulled out of it and recovered..I learned this technic from a retired Naval Flight Instructor..who know flys the VRS SuperBug which I also fly with him in his Squadron..I will try to do a video of this high speed stall out and recovery..

Cheers..

Still lots to learn on this baby and my video editing is also a learning process..
The learning can be half the fun for a newbie flying an A2A Accusimmed aircraft. If you like the Mustang now, you'll LOVE the new Accusimmed Mustang!
Removing the tanks; The way I remove them is simply to click them off before takeoff by clicking the release toggles n the lower center sub-panel. You might have to move the stick to the side to do that. You can also remove them in the fuel settings for the 51 in the FSX drop down upper menu. (Aircraft).
On stall; It's important to know that stall speeds as listed for any aircraft via the ASI are 1g stall speeds. Stall at any other g is accelerated and can occur at ANY airspeed or ANY attitude inverted or right side up........even going straight up or straight down. If you start right in the beginning to associate stall with angle of attack and NOT airspeed, you will be thinking correctly. Recovery the same way. Stall recovery is always the same. You REDUCE angle of attack. The thing to remember is that the wing has a specific stall angle of attack that if exceeded at any time in any flight attitude, and at any airspeed below maneuvering speed, will result in stall. For accelerated stall, you pull enough g above maneuvering speed and instead of a stall you will over g the airplane with potentially dangerous result.
Maneuvering speed also will produce your best turn rate and minimum turn radius so it's an important airspeed to know flying a fighter. You can find that speed at the upper left corner of any Vg diagram. For the P51, this airspeed at 8K lbs is right around 260mph at 8g's.
Dudley Henriques

Air_Wolf
Senior Airman

Post by Air_Wolf »

Thank you Sir!

I will be making another video with a low level high speed flyby..and also add a stall/recovery..for a tutorial..

Yes, I am looking forward to the Accu-Sim Mustang...would love to be the beta tester for it..if possible...LOL...

I have all my life been an admirer of the P-51D Mustang..even built model's of it...
:D

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”