Inital removal of drop-tanks?

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
mgr
Staff Sergeant

Inital removal of drop-tanks?

Post by mgr »

Hiya,

Is there a way to remove the droptank at initial startup of the plane?

Seems to able to remove it by a gauge, which switches the boole which controls the droptanks at startup. Do not know enough of gauge programming to make such a thing. Can A2A make such a gauge? Think for a experienced gauge-programmer it's a piece of cake. :roll:

Thanks a lot!

Marcel

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Inital removal of drop-tanks?

Post by Skycat »

I'm sure when the Wings of Power III P-51D (with AccuSim pack) comes out there will be a special loadout manager that will allow the user to choose from a variety of tanks or no tank at all, just like with the WOP3 Thunderbolt. But I'd say the chances of any new features being added to the current P-51D are slim to none.

My solution is, I simply hit the drop tank buttons above the tank selector in the VC before I start the engine. I know there is a key combo for this also but I can never remember those kinds of things. Anyhow, my highly proficient ground crew always complies with my request and remove the tanks without delay. :D
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Any change for a A2A reaction? :roll:

Thx!

Marcel
(P-51D/H and WWII FIGHTERS BOX)

Franck66
Airman

Post by Franck66 »

I'm using also this solution but we keep the tanks supports :(

We have the same problem with the P-47D wich is an Accusim release

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

A2A's P-47 and P-51 models are based on military (ie, combat) configurations instead of modern civilian configurations. Generally speaking, from about mid-war until the end of production the underwing pylons were installed at the factory.

Here is a photo of a factory-fresh Mustang about to be ferried within the United States by a WASP during the war:

I think that in the case of modern day Mustangs that many of the flying examples have had the pylons permanently removed, possibly because surplus military aircraft were sold to civilians after the war and used for racing.

Here is what appears to be a wartime photo of P-47s outside the Republic Aviation factory:

It is important to note, however, that the very early production Thunderbolts -- the P-47B and P-47C series, and early P-47Ds up to the D-15RE block -- did not have underwing pylons and so could not carry bombs or drop tanks under the wing. Later P-47Ds had strengthened wings and underwing pylons as standard from the factory. An exception to this rule is the P-47M series, a limited production of exceptionally fast Thunderbolts introduced at the end of the war; these were not fitted with pylons at first.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”