Someone Please Make this Repaint! "Grim Reaper"

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
N990WY
Airman First Class

Someone Please Make this Repaint! "Grim Reaper"

Post by N990WY »

Hello everyone,

I have seen a lot of Mustangs in the past, P-51s that range from P-51A models to D models & even a H model, but the one in my opinion that is the most beautiful is called Grim Reaper, a 1944 P-51D (NL26PW) out of Hollister, CA. Can someone please make a "Grim Reaper" paint scheme for the P-51. I have met the pilot of Grim Reaper in the past and apparently this Mustang is actual combat veteran. This is one beautiful P-51 and it would be awesome if someone can make a repaint for the WOP II P-51.

Thanks!
Ted

PS: Does anyone know if A2A is going to make a P-51H model for the Accusim P-51? Can wait until the Mustang is released.

Mustangs Mustangs:
Last edited by N990WY on 23 Oct 2011, 15:18, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Re: Someone Please Make this Repaint! "Grim Reaper"

Post by mountainhighair »

Hi Ted, I Yahooed the tail number and found this. Looks like it flew during the war. Not sure about it seeing any combat.
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51regis ... 63701.html

I started work on the graphics (decals) for Grim Reaper, but I'm too busy these days to finish it just yet. I'll let you know when I do.

John

N990WY
Airman First Class

Post by N990WY »

Thanks a lot John; I really appreciate this!

-Ted

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Hello Ted, I've done more work on my P-51 textures, including a Grim Reaper paint. It's not done and needs some tweeking, but here are some shots of the initial work I threw together.

I have yet to finish the little white reaper guy, so he's still missing from the side of the fuselage.

I did find a quality graphic online for the squadron emblem and made a picture tube for that and reset the color to match photos I've seen of GR.

Checkerboard needs some work. Still have very little time to work on this, but it's getting there.

John

N990WY
Airman First Class

Post by N990WY »

She's looking great John! Thank you so much!

-Ted

gravel
Airman

Post by gravel »

That is looking really sweet John. Thanks for the Mustang website link above too.

Jim

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Ha, I just noticed that only the inboard black stripe of the typical D-Day stripes is present on top of the wing. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. If anyone notices anything else I would sure appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I might venture a few comments?

The checkers still need some work, there are 4 rows on the real thing. The GQ-U code is not quite the right font, the letters are too thin and not the right shape. The side on picture in the first post may be good enough to redraw them, otherwise I'm sure a better pic is floating around on the internet.
Also, the serial on the tail is the wrong font. I guess you used USAAF serial stencil, but most mustangs used a much thinner font, just copare the real aircraft with the paint. A while ago, I redrew all of these numbers in photoshop, because like you, I've used the serial stencil, but was never happy with them. If you want the psd file (never got round to making a font of them), drop me a pm with your e-mail and I'll send them to you.
Finally, I have the feeling the anti-glare panel is too wide at the front. On the Mustang, the panel sides almost met up at the propellor.
Otherwise, a fine job so far.

Good luck finishing it!
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Very much appreciated jcblom!
You noted many of the flaws that I will be working on. Sounds like we are both sticklers for detail. I now have the "USAF_serial_stencil" font, but the 7 still doesn't match. I can always lay down fonts as a Vector and then "convert text to curves" in PSP and do it manually, but if you have a matching font then I'll opt for the lazy route every time! The GQ-U lettering that I created was based on a pic of a decal sheet and not the current flying example. I have found only one photo from the original WW2 bird, and it doesn't show the squadron codes (the "Grim Reaper" artwork is also different from the currently flying 463702. Original was 463701). That's not a big deal as I can just redo those letters. I found a graphic of the "reaper guy" last night, but it's only a pic of a hand painting/drawing of it. That's a hard one to find. (If anyone has a hi-res pic of that let me know).

I had placed the checkerboard all the way to the left edge of the D1 file for starters, and it gets cut off on the model. I'll have fun maneuvering those little squares around to fit correctly and work with the warping of the 3D model. Gives me something to do in the free time that I don't have.

I had NOT noticed the difference in the anit-glare panel. Thanx for pointing that out. What I've done is re-create my own paint kit with old PSP8 for the A2A P-51 in a factory fresh scheme with standard anti-glare and D-Day stripes. From that set of files I create all my other paint schemes. So what you see in the pics above is what I threw together based on my "factory fresh" basic layout, turning on and off certain layers and doing the usual particulars.

I've been working on trying to create extra special aluminum textures for this bird, and experimenting with the alpha layer and how it interacts with the reflective lighting in FSX. (Maybe A2A Santa can create better FSX reflective lighting textures? Hmmm?) Grim Reaper is an especially polished P-51, and I'd like to re-create that stunning look. I think I've come up with some good graphics, especially for the wing and stabalizer farings that distort light more than anywhere else.
I also noticed that Grim Reaper has an anti-skid walkway panel on the wingroot.

I also need to examine the wings, because, as I have read in the past, P-51s were delivered with painted wings - not bare aluminum. That's according to a book on Butch Schroader's amazing "Li'l Margaret" F-6D restoration. The P-51 also had a painted fabric-covered rudder, so I've worked with my graphics and alpha channel to eliminate the reflection but retain a "silver paint" look that's not too different from the color of the shiny aluminum. All in all, it's a great deal of fun to do all this. And I wouldn't put in all the time and effort if A2A hadn't created such a beautiful and accurate model with matching performance. But I guess that's why we're all here, right?

Thanks for your help, (and Ted for getting me started on this) and anyone else who wants to jump in with suggestions is more than welcome!

John

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

message sent
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

N990WY
Airman First Class

Post by N990WY »

Looks like this bird did have bare aluminum wings a while back in 2000, when she was repainted as 44-63702 "Grim Reaper" of 9th AF:

Mustangs Mustangs:

Some more images:

-Ted

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”