FSX Mustang - Sounds

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
flying junk
Airman First Class

FSX Mustang - Sounds

Post by flying junk »

Can I please chip in with one more request for the FSX Mustang? How about a sound pack that reproduces the famous Mustang whistle? It roots me to the spot and gives me goosebumps!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: FSX Mustang - Sounds

Post by Scott - A2A »

These sounds are recorded from a real Merlin mustang recorded inside and out. I have about 90 minutes of the master recordings and I don't hear any whistle. I am not saying that there isn't a Mustang whistle, just not in the Mustang we flew.

However, our Messerschmitt BF109 does have the famous whistle associated with the Daimler-Benz DB601.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Doesn't the F4U have a distinctive whistling sound also? I believe the Japanese nickname for the Corsair was "Whistling Death."

Some of the P-38 sound packs I've heard have a high-pitched whine over the engines.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Listening to the 109, it sounds like that whistle is tied to a super/turbo charging fan. I suppose it is possible that with different hardware certain whistle's and whines change.

However, having said this, you can fly two different aircraft of identical models and come away with a very different sound set. One aircraft may have a loud wind sound from the canopy that is so loud, it drowns out the engine, while another can be completely quiet.

Our Merlin powered Mustang sound is created from the one we flew - it's not created from anyone else's source. The only limitation is the sound system you use. We plugged our Mustang into a very high powered audio system and turned it up to the volume just below the threshold of pain. If you listen to our engine this way this puts you exactly inside or outside the Merlin. The difference frankly is the Merlin is oppressively loud. I remember standing next to the Mustang when we were capturing the sounds – the volume level, say, compared to the R2800 in the Thunderbolt is night and day. The P47’s R2800 with the turbo charger whispers compared to the Merlin. I had strong ear plugs in but the problem with the Merlin is it is so loud, the sound goes right through your head. You need a very large / thick headset with the Mustang, and consequently, there is only one microphone in the world I know of that will not break up when placed next to a Merlin, inside or out.

Inside, where the pilot sits, the exhausts are facing right at you. The Merlin, as wonderful of an engine as it is, is responsible for destroying the hearing of many pilots. My own personal estimation is, just seconds in front of the Merlin at full power without ear protection is enough to permanently destroy hearing.

So, you will notice with our sound set, it sounds quite different at loud volumes than soft ones.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

flying junk
Airman First Class

Post by flying junk »

Scott - A2A wrote:These sounds are recorded from a real Merlin mustang recorded inside and out. I have about 90 minutes of the master recordings and I don't hear any whistle. I am not saying that there isn't a Mustang whistle, just not in the Mustang we flew.

However, our Messerschmitt BF109 does have the famous whistle associated with the Daimler-Benz DB601.

Scott.
You're right Scott, they don't all do it. Some people say it's the radiator, but I spoke briefly to Rob Davies who owns 'Big Beautiful Doll' here in the UK and he said it was the gun ports, and that it was so loud he could hear it in the cockpit. If you search for 'Big Beautiful Doll' or 'Ferocious Frankie' on YouTube you'll hear them both screaming like banshees. Look up 'Jumpin' Jacques' and (s)he doesn't. I expect it depends on whether the ports are open or sealed.

Scream or not, this Mustang will be the FS event of the year for me.

rmarsh1
Airman

Post by rmarsh1 »

Scott...Your recorded sounds are outstanding!!
I've heard that the whistle/moan/banshee type sound comes from the gun ports at high speed secondary to air flow. I think it was gun ports :? That sound would be hard to record during a stationary ground recording session, eh?!

You guys build great planes!!

Roy Marsh

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

rmarsh1 wrote: That sound would be hard to record during a stationary ground recording session, eh?!

You guys build great planes!!

Roy Marsh

....A2A run static and flying sound recordings with some rather expensive hi-def equipment strapped into the pits.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rmarsh1
Airman

Post by rmarsh1 »

I did not know that :) .
Inflight sound recordings are another reason A2A's aircraft are great.

R

pascalvdpol
Airman Basic

Post by pascalvdpol »

I think he means this 'howl'.
Look at this movie that my brother took on a Dutch airshow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lamtqQRE ... annel_page

Can you do this in Accusim?

Cheers,
Pascal

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We will have a brand new sound set for our next Wings of POWER 3 P51. Maybe we can record a high speed pass like that and see how it sounds both inside and outside the cockpit. Once we get the Cub and F4u released, we should be well into the Mustang Accu-Sim by then.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”