Aircraft Factory Corsair cockpit repaints

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
new reply
mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Aircraft Factory Corsair cockpit repaints

Post by mountainhighair »

I'm about done with my Corsair cockpit repaints. I've done two variations in Gray and Zinc-Chromate. Both are tailored to modernizing the Corsair and add a bit of color based on real Corsair cockpits found in online research. I'VE NOT UPLOADED THESE TO ANY SITE FOR DOWNLOAD JUST YET. I'm working on my own website to fit the AF Corsair in, and will upload to Simviation in the meantime very soon. Both variations are the same updated cockpit in two different color schemes. The gray cockpit has a blue-gray colorization similar to my WoP2 Mustang cockpit. The Zinc cockpit adds a bit more color saturation, and both have black side consoles since I have never seen any Corsair with Zinc-Chromate consoles as depicted in the original textures.

I made many little detail changes including: repainting the control handle knobs, general shading, reconditioning the main panel, cleaning up some of the wear and tear (hoping I didn't make it too clean!), adding the springs showing behind the landing gear indicators, instrument details, adding color and 3D effect to the gunsight lens, etc, etc... I've done so many little things I've forgotten exactly what I've done. Much of it is very subtle, but overall I think you will enjoy a much more vibrant cockpit environment.

A main source for my conclusions can be found here: http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam ... /FG-1/FG-1
This museum site is a wonderful place to waste time. You can get into the cockpits of numerous aircraft and walk around in their wonderful virtual tour.

Original AF Corsair cockpit:

New Zinc cockpit:

New gray cockpit:

I should have these posted on Simviation this week and will post a link to the package there. In the meantime, post any thoughts and suggestions. I can tweak the files before uploading them, but am mostly just tired of working on them.

John

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: Aircraft Factory Corsair cockpit repaints

Post by aonyn »

Hi John,

I did not take a lot of time to scrutinize the details, but my quick impression is it looks fantastic.
I love some of your attention to detail such as the actual texture of some of the worn surfaces, those details give a very realistic appearance.
Thanks also for that link to the QTVR museum site.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Thank you, Dave. Glad you like what you see. I do want to say here that most wear-and-tear you see in these pics is most likely original work done by Terrell. (?) I believe Terrell did the original work on the Corsair and did an amazing job. I don't want to take any credit for his work. It's easy for someone like me to come along years later and tweak this-and-that to bring new life to established products. I like the work I've done on the Corsair, but honestly, I'm just standing on someone else's shoulders.

I really want to keep the AF Corsair alive for now and in the future, because it is the best Corsair model for FSX currently available. It's worth any work that I put into it.

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

The cockpit repaints are up and running at Simviation, here:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... &x=15&y=15

I have 3 versions uploaded - ww2 era that is not so different from the original files, modern zinc-chromate with all the bells and whistles, and a gray version of the modernized cockpit. I ended up adding some of my own wear and tear, dirt and grime. I just turned the opacity down on these layers for the modern cockpit. I reworked a few of the gauges and tinkered around with other details since the screenshots above. Hope everyone likes the new pixels.
I'm going to jump in my 51 now and NOT look at the Corsair cockpit for a while...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very nice! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Thanks Lewis! Much appreciated. Perhaps a little more life to an old bird...

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”