fuel guage/repaints

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

fuel guage/repaints

Post by dvm »

I have been flying the Corsair lately as you may have noticed from my recent posts. Here are a couple of things I want to pass on in case anyone might be interested. I discovered that the fuel gauge registers the total fuel for the main and reserve tanks. I discovered this by accident as I was running out of fuel running on the main tank but my gauge was still indicating I had 50 gallons left. I could not find any documentation in the manual referring to this. If you look at the gauge you can see it shows 200+ gallons at the full mark (187+50). Not sure if this is common knowledge. On the subject of repaints I have been using the default textures in the Racers version. Just copy the texture folder from the default Corsair to the racers folder and make a couple of changes to the racers aircraft CFG. Here is an example of the changes I made to the entry from the default for VF-84 texture. I changed the manufacture and the model.
[fltsim.xx]
title=Corsair 1D 1
sim=corsair
model=Racer
panel=
sound=
texture=VF-84
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
ui_manufacturer= Goodyear//Chance Vought
ui_type=F4U-1D
ui_variation=VF-84
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Aircraft Factory"
atc_airline=Navy
description=Chance Vought F4U-1a
atc_id=167
atc_flight_number=167
atc_heavy=0

mountainhighair
Staff Sergeant

Re: fuel guage/repaints

Post by mountainhighair »

I believe the extra 50 gallons comes from the "stove pipe" - the plumbing that goes between the main tank and the carb. The gauge might subtract this 50 gallons, because the gauge is meant to register what is in the tank itself. The plumbing is meant to be a "reserve" that the pilot should know is there once the gauge registers zero. Once the gauge reads zero, the pilot's pucker factor should kick in and it's time to look for the nearest airfield. This is my understanding...

Are you saying the gauge INCLUDES the 50 gallons? I am no real Corsair pilot, so I wouldn't know either way. I haven't run it dry yet, thank God. I did run into a situation in the WoP3 51 where my fuel never ran out. That was some kind of glitch. Came in handy though. I didn't look like such an idiot at the time. :D

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”