Planes of Fame P-47

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
danb12
Staff Sergeant

Planes of Fame P-47

Post by danb12 »

Hi all,

Just wondered if there was a repaint of the Planes of Fame P-47 at all? I have a repaint of 'Spirit of Atlantic City ' but I think they have changed the screme to a red cowled one?

This and Snafu are my favourite P-47's...

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Re: Planes of Fame P-47

Post by Bomber_12th »

Hey Dan, the red cowl and invasion stripes are actually only temporary paint (and a generic scheme depiction), that was added just prior to this past years Planes of Fame air show. This has sort of been a tradition for POF, putting at least one of their planes into a new paint scheme just ahead of their annual airshow (though typically a permanent scheme). The temporary paint has yet to be removed however (I know there is a P-47 event coming up at Planes of Fame in early March). It was also done-up similarly, again only in temporary paint, for a magazine photoshoot several years back.

Although a bit plain, the permanent markings on the Planes of Fame P-47G, that of "Spirit of Atlantic City", are significant - for one, the markings are that of Bud Mahurin, one of the greatest P-47 pilots of the war, and two, Bud Mahurin was one of the earliest members of the Planes of Fame Air Museum, and flew their warbirds in the 60's and 70's, so it is only rightfully so that it be kept in those markings (though it could use a strip and repaint, as the current paint is getting quite old).

I think I'll have a go at this, depicting the Planes of Fame P-47 in its permanent and temporary schemes.

(Speaking of razorback P-47's, right now there are only two flying in the world today, the P-47G "Spirit of Atlantic City" (owned by Planes of Fame, based at Chino) and the P-47G "Snafu" (owned by the Friedkin family/Comanche Fighters, based in Texas) - the P-47G was identical to the Republic P-47C, built under license by Curtiss. However, there are a number of razorback P-47D's (all recovered Pacific Theatre vets) under restoration to airworthy at this time, all for different owners and by three different restoration companies, in Minnesota, Colorado, and Australia.)
John Terrell

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Looking forward to some possible new repaints, and to more airworthy Razorbacks!

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

Hi Bomber,

Thanks for the info about PoF, very interesting! I was very lucky as a volunteer to help at a couple of airshows in the UK with Snafu which is where my love for the P47 came from! I was very sad when she left...

If you want to have a go at the paints that would be awesome... thanks!

Dan

Spamcan51
Airman First Class

Post by Spamcan51 »

any updates on the Planes Of Fame P-47, I'm a volunteers at POF.

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”