Thunderbolt and Landing gear

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
fu_manchu_72
Airman

Thunderbolt and Landing gear

Post by fu_manchu_72 »

My beautiful A2A thunderbolt can't get into the air anymore without the landing gear being broken? That is I retract the gear and get the red light. At first I thought it might be excessive braking. So I made sure I was "gentle", always made sure the tail wheel was unlocked and locked at the appropriate times. Then I made sure I stayed on the taxiways. I had occasionally went off the taxiway but not in such a way as to render the gear inop. Now I have taken to spotting the plane near the runway so there is little taxiing as possible. Nothing is working, no matter how careful I am, the gear wants to simulate that it is broken. The question is why?

I have downloaded a few repaints from the internet. I have not done that much tweaking to FSX. I have found out that if you cancel the flight, and pick another thunderbolt, the problem usually goes away but this after you have done the pre cockpit check, started up, warmed the engine, got your clearance and taxied to the correct runway, only to have your gear ruin your flight. After all this, going back and picking another plane usually results in other activity, such as not playing FSX for a few days.

My system specs are:
Motherboard: Intel DQ35JO RAM: 4 Gig 256MX64 DDR2 PC2-5300
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ CPU: 2.85 GHz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
Single Hard Drive 1 Tb Western Digital BIOS VERS. JOQ3510J.86A.0942.2008.0807.1958 08/07/2008

Anyone have any ideas?

Onto another note, there are some days when a thunderbolt will not start, no matter how hard you try, was this written into the code to make it more realistic?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Thunderbolt and Landing gear

Post by Skycat »

I assume you are talking about the Wings of Power 2 "WWII Fighters" / "Solo" model. The cockpit of the razorback is kind of an amalgam of the entire P-47D series so I'll refer to a late-war vintage PFOI specifically for the P-47D-25 through the end of the 'D' series:

MAIN GEAR - ...The gear is controlled by unit in the cockpit. A warning light is provided to indicate whenever the gear is in transit. A switch on the throttle also causes the warning light to glow if the gear is not locked down when the throttle is retarded to a point insufficient to maintain leve flight. On models P-47D-35 and later, the warning system consists of a red lamp, a green lamp, and a horn, used in the following manner:

Green on, Red off. -- Landing gear locked down.
Red on, Green off. -- Landing gear in any unlocked position.
Both lights off. -- Landing gear locked up and throttle beyond minimum cruising position.
Red on, Green off, Horn sounding -- Landing gear locked up or in any unlocked position when the throttle is below minimum cruising.

A coutout switch is provided on the main switch box to enable turning the warning horn off when the gear is locked down and the throttle is below minimum cruising position.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

fu_manchu_72 wrote:Onto another note, there are some days when a thunderbolt will not start, no matter how hard you try, was this written into the code to make it more realistic?
You'll have to be more specific and tell us which product you are using. The WoP3 model requires adequate priming based on engine temperature. The WoP2 "Solo" model may just have a weak starter torque value and that can be improved by making an edit to the plane's aircraft.cfg file. I know some of the original FS2004 Thunderbolts were almost impossible to start without making a few edits to this file.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

fu_manchu_72
Airman

Post by fu_manchu_72 »

I am flying the Wings of Power 3 P-47 with accu-sim. I always have the Accu-sim on. It is just hard for me to believe that I could be damaging the gear before I get airborne. I am at 52 inches of manifold pressure, full low pitch on climbout when I try to retract the gear, the green light goes out and I get a blinking red gear status light. I did some further reading in the manuals. The gear problem could be a result of a rough landing on the previous flight... Have to see what the deal is. Also, I'll try the same with the starting issue. Thanks for the reply.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The red light is normal, it shows the gear is retracting. The light should turn off as soon as the gear is fully up.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”