The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hydraulic pressure
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm 
Airman

I have been attempting to fly my new WoP aircraft "by the book" since I bought the aircraft Powerpack on Saturday... here it is just Wednesday and I don't have any hair left!
Every time I attempt to fly the B-17s or the B-29, however scrupulously close to "by the book" I fly, I loose hydraulic pressure just after lift-off, preventing me from raising the gear...
I have a very hard time believing that the hydraulic systems on these bombers were so very delicate!
Further, I have read all the documentation contained in my copy of the Powerpack without finding anything mentioned about hydraulic pressure!
I am at my wits end... please help!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:01 am 
Senior Master Sergeant

You haven't thrown the hyd pump switch by chance have you?

In all my hours of flying these birds ... both the FS9 version as well as FSX I have never experienced a situation as the one you describe.

That's the best I can offer.

Good Luck Keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 pm 
Airman

with a little bit closer observing, the problem seems even more complex than before! Left-side Oil Pressure gauges are also affected, as is the Fuel Quantity gauge... when the Hydraulic Pressure tanks, the Fuel Quantity gauge reads empty, and Oil Pressure gauges for engines 1 and 3 report 0* C... all of this erroneously, I am sure, since the engines all continue running just as before!

I am quite sure the Hydraulic Pump On/Off condition isn't an issue... there are no keybindings availble for that function in FS, and the gauges in WoP seem to be just bitmaps since I cannot toggle that function if I try!

Post subject: Re: Hydraulic pressure
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 am 
Airman First Class

EMatheson wrote:
I have been attempting to fly my new WoP aircraft "by the book" since I bought the aircraft Powerpack on Saturday... here it is just Wednesday and I don't have any hair left!
Every time I attempt to fly the B-17s or the B-29, however scrupulously close to "by the book" I fly, I loose hydraulic pressure just after lift-off, preventing me from raising the gear...
I have a very hard time believing that the hydraulic systems on these bombers were so very delicate!
Further, I have read all the documentation contained in my copy of the Powerpack without finding anything mentioned about hydraulic pressure!
I am at my wits end... please help!!!!

E. Matheson;
I read your post back in May, having never experienced your problem, I moved on..
Recently, I was starting the WOP B-17G "By The Book" (and the "book" being a USAAF Issued Pilots Instruction Manual).. One of the "steps" is to turn off the Generators before take-off and insure they are off during Run-Up..
As I was taxiing out to the runway, I noticed my Hydraulic Pressure Warning Light on and Hyd pressure was zero.. Thinking this was an "FS9" issue :shock: , I hit "Esc" and restarted the flight.. same place, same drill.. No Hyd Pressure :( .. I abandoned the "Dark & Cold" start and changed to a "running at the beginning of the runway" start, instead as I wanted to practice some "go around and land after an engine failure" drills, so on Climb-Out, I shut off the fuel & boost switches to #3, feathered the engine and turned-off the #3 Mag.. not a few seconds later I watched the needle of the Hydraulic Pressure Gauge slowly drop to zero.. The "Light Bulb" went on :idea: !! The #3 Engine either powers the Hyd pump, or the #3 Electrical System powers the Hyd Pump.. but in either case, the #3 Generator MUST be on to have Hydraulic Pressure in the B-17G.. Don't know if this is true or not with the B-29.. But it might be something to look into on your next B-17 flight..
Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 am 
Airman

yep... that did the trick...
I didn't think of doing that way before because, when I first had the problem, I found the the closer I stuck to published speeds/throttle settings/mixture settings/etc., the longer I had until the hydraulic pressure failed... but even with a perfect flight otherwise, the hydraulic pressure ALWAYS failed during gear-retraction, sometimes before... so, barking up the wrong tree, I approached it from that angle and concluded after days of testing all possible permutations of flight that was a bug...
so thanks for the help... vastly appreciated!!! :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 pm 
Airman First Class

EMatheson wrote:

... but even with a perfect flight otherwise, the hydraulic pressure ALWAYS failed during gear-retraction, sometimes before...

EMatheson;
Again, a "way late" reply.. (I guess my brain works really slow)..
Even if you have a hydraulic failure, the B-17's Landing Gear should work.. the gear was raised/lowered by an electric motor driven "fine thread" screw.. which is why it takes so long for the gear to raise/lower.. If your landing gear fails, it's an "electrical problem"..
Ain't flying the WOP B-17 loads of fun?? I love it!!
Charles