Why is there no omnibearing selector or DME on the Strat?

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
dgturc83
Airman Basic

Why is there no omnibearing selector or DME on the Strat?

Post by dgturc83 »

Seems odd to me why the 377, a newer and more advanced aircraft, would not have an omnibearing selector and DME readout, while the L-049 Connie does. Anyone have any insight or ideas as to why Boeing did not add these into the design? Before the release of the Connie I accepted it as the limitations of the times, but now I really wonder.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Why is there no omnibearing selector or DME on the Strat

Post by Jacques »

I'm sure they had the most current navigational equipment requested by the airline that ordered them! Remember that VOR was just beginning to be implemented, in the US, in 1946. The two Stratocruiser manuals I've seen from the period have only dual ADF capability. A2A did us the favor of having "upgraded" their Strat to being able to receive and navigate with both ADF and VOR.

By the time DME became available it was 1960 and the Stratocruiser was on it's way to secondary or tertiary service. (and was probably kitted out with VOR/DME capability!)

I guess I would suggest caution when assuming that how A2A have modeled particular capabilities mirrors what was actually available to customers at the time. I mean, who knew that Lockheed could provide a GPS to its customers in 1946!

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”