OIL

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

OIL

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
How low can the oil go on an engine before it gets damaged , reason for question , i am trying an ambishous flight none stop from PHNL/RJTT , i have covered 2491nm , and have about 900 to 1000nm to go and res oil is down to 7.6 gall and engines on avg are 12/13 gall and the engines have a few hours under their belts , so are useing oil slightly quicker than new ones would.
regards alan. 8)

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: OIL

Post by TreeTops »

Things you can play with (if possible/practical) are reducing the power of the older oil thirsty engines and pushing up the newer engines slightly. Net result is less oil consumption.
Otherwise wait until the engine is at 0 or just above and then shut it down and carry on.
Tip : Never pump more oil than needed into an engine from the reserve tank if there is any intention of shutting it down. Any oil left in that engine is wasted oil that could have been used between the others.
Cheers
Trev

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Due to high headwinds of near 60knts , and not knowing how far i could let the oil drop on the engines , i decided to cancel the flight , still had over 500nm to do.
i had 3 good and one excelent at start of trip , after cancelling the flight as i did not think i would have made it , engines 1/2 are good eng 3 excellent eng 4 fair , with over 72 hrs on it , so might overhaul this one.
Thanks for info , i was under the impression you needed a certain amount in the engines tanks to stop them failing.
regards alan. 8)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Alan,

I don't think there is a hard and fast number published with regards to how low you can go on oil before you start to incur damage. But when you are getting low, the usual signs of (possibly) increasing engine oil temperature and absolutely the loss of pressure,even a small amount if it is consistant, shiuld be clues to shut the engine down quickly.

You can always track, for an hour, the oil being used by each engine to get an idea of usage and use that information to determine your remaining endurance.

SJDobby
Airman

Post by SJDobby »

Jacques wrote:You can always track, for an hour, the oil being used by each engine to get an idea of usage and use that information to determine your remaining endurance.
I record the fuel and oil quantities (in each tank) at specific points in the flight (loading, pushback, take-off, top of climb, top of descent and shutdown) plus, during longer flights, at specific time-intervals (typically 20/30 minutes); then quickly sum-up the average burns and trends, and estimate forecasts for the remainder of the flight. Along with this is recorded the time and the navigator's calculations of range, observed wind, tailwind, IAS and groundspeed.

It's nice to finish a flight with a proper record to hand to the virtual-maintenance people, tangible evidence if you like of you and your crew's hours of hard work in the cockpit keeping this historic lump of metal in the air.

This will in time hopefully improve my flight-planning and, for instance, reduce the amount of "excess fuel" I tend to carry as contingency.

Regards
Simon
ImageImage

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I just keep more than 0 in the engines. Lol
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”