The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:56 am 
Airman First Class

Situation: yesterday on a long flight, engine #2 shut down in flight. I could not get it restarted so did a complete feather and shutdown on her. During one of my 3 restarting attempts, my cabin heater went tits up too. Once landed it turned out the #2 turbo was shot and needed replacement, as well as the cabin heater. My pilot log stated the heater broke and as captain was partially responsible.

Question:
as the cabin pressure and temp system was still hooked to all turbo bleeders, including the non functioning #2, can I have caused the heater to go due to my restarting attempts? --> me partially responsible
Or could the #2 turbo have caused the heater to go bust without interference from me or FE? --> me not partially responsible.

Love the CotS stuff but this made me wonder: what could I have (not) done to prevent my heater going bust?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 am 
Master Sergeant

Hi.
If your number two engine failed , then you should have shut that turbo heater down as well , i have had total heat failure 1 hr into a 7 hr flt , and had to decend to warmer air , and turned back for repairs this was not deemed to be my fault , the engines are more prone to failure on this aircraft as are the props , had you shut the number 2 turbo heater down with the engine , you might have saved the company money , this is why you where deemed partly to blame.
I prefere the conni over the b377 for many reasons , but both keep you on your toes , and gives an insight as to how the crews of both aircraft types earned their pay and respect in the airlines , i fly the conni on vatsim for CXA VA , the B377 is not in our fleet.
regards alan. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 am 
Airman First Class

alan CXA651 wrote:
Hi.
If your number two engine failed , then you should have shut that turbo heater down as well , i have had total heat failure 1 hr into a 7 hr flt , and had to decend to warmer air , and turned back for repairs this was not deemed to be my fault , the engines are more prone to failure on this aircraft as are the props , had you shut the number 2 turbo heater down with the engine , you might have saved the company money , this is why you where deemed partly to blame.
I prefere the conni over the b377 for many reasons , but both keep you on your toes , and gives an insight as to how the crews of both aircraft types earned their pay and respect in the airlines , i fly the conni on vatsim for CXA VA , the B377 is not in our fleet.
regards alan. 8)

That's what I thought, thanks.

We have both the Connie and Strat in our fleet over at Andras Meridian VA.

Thanks for the answer, it's as I suspected.