Did I buy the wrong thing????????

With the Flying Tigers shark-toothed paint, the P40 is the most famous fighter of the second world war.
rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Did I buy the wrong thing????????

Post by rc flyer »

First of all, this being my first post here, I'd like to say hello to everyone who shares my passion of flightsimming. I would also like to commend shockwave productions on their great products, especially 3D-Lights.
OK, here's my question/problem. While at Best Buy several days ago I saw a piece of software called "Aircraft Power Pack 2" and on the cover was the same exact picture of the P-40 I've seen on the Shockwave Website. The box even showed that the video of the P40 walk-around was included. Also included was another sim, I forget the name offhand.
Anyway. I bought the thing just assuming I was gettin the same P40 that is offered from Shockwave, evidently not.
After installing in FSX I only have one variant and some of the effect seem to be missing also. Like engine smoke on startup (I) and the pilot wearing an oxygen mask above a certain altitude. Did I miss something
or is this a "watered down" version (sure hope not).
Here is the link to what I bought:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8560396490

Thanks for any help on this

Steve

flyboy4612
Technical Sergeant

Post by flyboy4612 »

I help you with your question because I don't own the Aircraft Power Pack 2 or the P-40...yet. However, I do have a question for you. Does the Aircraft Power Pack give you missions and dogfighting stuff for FSX? All i've seen is the picture of the box online and the breif description. What is it exactly?

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

It's basically six aircraft and a simulator which appears to be based on Battle of Britain II. Aircraft included are the P40,P47,Spitfire,BF109,P51, and Jap Zero.
What I feel is somewhat misleading is the fact that on the front of the box is the Shockwave trademark. Also on the inside of the flap that opens is a picture of the walkaround video that is on the Shockwave sight.
This led me to believe I was getting the same thing they offer there plus some bonus stuff. I really didn't care about the other stuff as I already owned it all already thru buying the Wing of Power software.
Could someone from shockwave PLEASE clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it.

THANKS
Steve

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, Steve, PowerPACK 2 is a lot of flight simulation related product in a single pack. You pay less, get a P40 along with five WWII FIGHTERS, and a bonus stand alone air combat game (Sky Defender) to boot.

Unfortunately, retail is slow motion compared to online, and the P40 in PowerPACK was the very first release of a single P40 way back when (the startup effect was mistakenly not mapped - we found this out just recently and will provide a fix shortly). PowerPACK II is $30 for everything, and the online Wings of POWER II: P40 pack is $32.

I hope this helps,
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

Thanks Scott. Guess I should have waited and asked questions here BEFORE I bought :? . Well, I guess what I'd like to know now is just how different the Wings of Power P40 Pack is from what I've got and, in your opinion, is the difference enough to justify the extra $32? For instance, are the sounds different also?

Thanks again,

Steve

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I believe, short of those effects mentioned that are going to be fixed, it is the same. The difference in the packages is the different variants of the P-40, such as the Tomahawk II with the droppable tanks and the different gunsites and cockpit layouts (which are still quite similar).

If you want to know for sure, check the video I created on the P-40 that is advertised on this website.

Here is the link:

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/store/wop2_p40/

It is for you to decide. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

WOW!!!! Excellent video Cody :D . Loved the 8-point roll and the spin 8) .
I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the enhanced sound files. I'll do a "wallk-around" with her running and see.

THANKS

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

rc flyer wrote:WOW!!!! Excellent video Cody :D . Loved the 8-point roll and the spin 8) .
I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the enhanced sound files. I'll do a "wallk-around" with her running and see.

THANKS
No problem, and thanks for the compliment on the video :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

rezabrya
Airman

Re: Did I buy the wrong thing????????

Post by rezabrya »

i have the same problem as you and i really feel sort of cheated. If you are going to release the product in a lesser version it should have said so on the box. Now i have wasted money on it because i want the full P-40. I really can't believe youg uys would do this...I feel cheated.
Owner of the J-3 + Accusim, P-47 + Accusim, and B-17 + Accusim

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

If you bought it thinking it was the full version, I will PM you some information where you can send us a proof of purchase and I can send you a discount coupon good towards the P40.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rezabrya
Airman

Post by rezabrya »

that would be great because i honestly though it was the real plane and i of course grabbed it up because it was a steal. I am very happy with the P-47 and even the P-40, i would juts like to have the full version of the P-40.
Owner of the J-3 + Accusim, P-47 + Accusim, and B-17 + Accusim

Major Johnson
Airman

Post by Major Johnson »

I have a related question as well. What are the base systems required for Wings Of Power and Wings Of Power 2?? Meaning are they add-ons for a variation of Microsoft Flight Simulator? If so, which ones?? Thanks in advance!

After some online research I may be able to answer my own question. Wings Of Power 1 are for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (MSFS 2004), and Wings Of Power 2 are for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). Is that correct??
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2MHz Processor
GeForce GTX 260 PCIx Video Card
4 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Muchkin 650W Power Supply

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

WOP1 is for FS9
WOP2 is for FSX, but the first WOP2 aircarft were for both FS9 and FSX
WOP3 and beyond is FSX

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Major Johnson
Airman

Post by Major Johnson »

Thanks Scott! I just ordered FSX and some add-ons, including the all inclusive Power Pack!! Can you tell me where/how I can get the add-ons listed in these forums?? And where is the P-38?? :P
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2MHz Processor
GeForce GTX 260 PCIx Video Card
4 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Muchkin 650W Power Supply

Packrat
Airman Basic

Post by Packrat »

I'm confused and a bit angry right now. Last December I purchased the WOP2 P-40 Warhawk cause the website showed that there would soon be an Accusim release for it. Today I purchased the Accusim upgrade only to find out that it won't install because it cannot find the WOP3 P-40. What's the deal hear. Do I have to go and purchase another version of the aircraft...WOP3. If that's the case then I feel like I just got ripped off. What do I need to do?

new reply

Return to “P40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”