P-40 Wings of Power 3 with Accusim flight scare..

With the Flying Tigers shark-toothed paint, the P40 is the most famous fighter of the second world war.
new reply
locmar
Airman

P-40 Wings of Power 3 with Accusim flight scare..

Post by locmar »

I purchased the Wings of Power 3 P-40 yesterday and was enjoying an hour flight in the P-40C over china. I was 4 miles out on final, while keeping an eye on my airspeed, when suddenly my aircraft lost engine power. I dropped gear, kept best glide speed and landed without mishap and rolled to a stop in the grass off the runway. I proceeded thru all the shutdown procedures and then checked for what the possible cause might be. The fuel selector was on fuselage and..........I ran the tank dry!! DUhhhh :oops: Heck I'm just glad I didnt hurt the engine :lol: Accusim perhaps too real :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P-40 Wings of Power 3 with Accusim flight scare..

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe, sounds like one of my flights. Glad you are enjoying the P-40 though. She is a bit special, so much manual work and lots of fun!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

locmar
Airman

Post by locmar »

Thanks to you Lewis and the A2A team for an awesome product. Looks like I need to add some more A2A planes to my collection for Christmas :D "Throws money at Screen" :wink:

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Flying the A2A Comanche home in 2012, over the Rocky Mountains, I discovered just how bad the tip tank fuel gauges were. When the engine quit, the immediate thought was fuel (as air / fuel delivery is really the main thing that can take the entire engine out so fast), and then moved my hand down to switch to the main tanks and before I did, my son said "Fuel pump." He said this because it's proper procedure to put the fuel pump on before switching tanks.

I told him to leave it off, as it was likely dry. With the engine prop still turning, sucking in air past the carb, it only took a few seconds before the new fuel hit the carb and it was back and running.

However, since I always fly (99.9% of the time that is) over "friendly" terrain with a single engine aircraft, never do I worry about safely landing the airplane due to an engine gone bad. If we were flying over treacherous mountains, long / deep forests, or far out over the water, something as common as an engine failure could result in serious injury or death. This also applies to how we make our approaches. It's always best to "have the airfield" at all times, and not come in low and far, should you lose the engine.

These little moments make an impact on us, adding a bit more wisdom, and make us all a bit better in the cockpit. What we are realizing now with Accu-Sim, these good habits are happening with thousands of sim pilots, before they even have any real flying experience.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”