P40 repaints years later

With the Flying Tigers shark-toothed paint, the P40 is the most famous fighter of the second world war.
new reply
blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

P40 repaints years later

Post by blackhawks »

Ok so i wasn't really an "early adopter" on this one, but I just bought the P40 last weekend and love it. I'm working on a few repaints in anticipation of the accusim release. I have no idea whether this model will be the base for the accusim, or if they are planning a totally new WOP III version. Either way I rolled the dice and picked this one up. I have several Burma Banshee paints in the works and will definitely be doing the Aleutian Tigers paint scheme too.

First up, however, is avg #21 flown by Greg Boyington.

P-8182 of the first pursuit squadron.

I've done this one as 2048x2048 so the work will transfer more easily to the new version when it is released. I also made entirely new spec and alpha layers, though not sure how much difference it makes on the final versions on this model.

EDIT: I've taken these older P-40 paints off of display on my site. I'll be revisin them for the new accusim P-40. However here is a link for the old WOPII version that I'll keep active for anyone interested.

Have a great weekend!
Last edited by blackhawks on 07 Jan 2012, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
-mike

wallydog
Senior Airman

Re: P40 repaints years later

Post by wallydog »

yeah... more P-40 paints... looks terrific...keep em coming!

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Thanks! should have a few more in the next few weekends. I know you've painted some B-17's in the past, did you ever do any P40s?
-mike

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

smooth with a capital Smoooooth 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Thanks Lewis!

Here's my first attempt at a Burma Banshee. These were actually P40N's, but it still looks cool on this model. Nose is longer on the P40B.

More to come, and hopefully a bit faster now that I've figured out a bit more about how the paintkit lines up with the model.

WOPII version
Last edited by blackhawks on 07 Jan 2012, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Aleutian tigers should be finished this weekend. Having a bit of an issue with wrapping the jaw around and joining with the nose art on the other side. Should be able to get it figured out soon.
-mike

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

This is the repaint that made me buy the P40. It appears someone took a shot at it, and posted some screen shots, but never released it.

Here is my version...

40-610 from the 343rd FG, 11th SQ "Aleutian Tigers" There are some Life Magazine color pictures of this one sitting at Adak, AK sometime in 1943. The only other info I could find was from joebaugher.com which says 40-610 was salvaged Oct 3, 1945.

WOPII version Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by blackhawks on 07 Jan 2012, 17:10, edited 2 times in total.
-mike

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

blackhawks wrote:Thanks! should have a few more in the next few weekends. I know you've painted some B-17's in the past, did you ever do any P40s?
I was never able to download the paintkit for the P-40 until a few months back. Here'a a quick repaint of J.W. Ferrell's plane from the old Monogram plastic model kit. Must have built that thing half a dozen times when I was a kid.

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Nice job Wally. We found the paint kit at the same time apparently. Finding it was what pushed me into buying this model. Such a fun airplane to fly and I can't wait to see how much better it gets with accusim.

Will you be posting this paint for the rest of us to grab, or is it up somewhere already that I missed?
-mike

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

blackhawks wrote:Nice job Wally. We found the paint kit at the same time apparently. Finding it was what pushed me into buying this model. Such a fun airplane to fly and I can't wait to see how much better it gets with accusim.

Will you be posting this paint for the rest of us to grab, or is it up somewhere already that I missed?
I may post it up in the next couple of days. I was doing a little research and discovered that the markings are less than accurate but its still a fun rendition of the old Monogram model. Look for it on Simouthouse.com

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Over the weekend I was flying the p40 and noticed a drastic color difference on my Boyington repaint. Front was considerably lighter than the back of the fuselage. I went and re did all of the spec files (as I've learned a few tricks since then) and the alphas. That still didn't get it right... i finally found one more layer of shading in the tail vs the front. All fixed now and updated on my site. I also changed the radio callsign in the cockpit view to match the aircraft, so there is one extra dds file in the folder now.

Can't wait for the new P40, but couldn't leave this one without fixing it.
-mike

new reply

Return to “P40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”