I fly at night a lot, is this a good buy ?

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

I fly at night a lot, is this a good buy ?

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,
I've looked at youtube vids and the like, not found anything that shows the same shot default and one with 3D lights.

Just wondering if people like 3D lights, what their thoughts are etc.
Also does it animate runway lights ?

I fly at night a lot so it seems like a good buy for me but I don't know enough about it and not much out there with comparisons.

Thanks in advance
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Re: I fly at night a lot, is this a good buy ?

Post by Styggron »

ooookay no replies........... hmmmm
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Sorry Styggron, I was going to reply but not exactly an unbiased opinion coming from the developer :)

But, just some sales facts. 3Dlights is A2A's all time best selling product. And on flightsim.com's pilot shop, it was the #1 seller on year 1, year 2, and the #2 seller on year three. So it was a rocket seller for A2A. A product that sells for that long can't be all that bad :)

Just make sure if you decide to buy, run the v.1.2 the update here:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=10499

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:Sorry Styggron, I was going to reply but not exactly an unbiased opinion coming from the developer :)

But, just some sales facts. 3Dlights is A2A's all time best selling product. And on flightsim.com's pilot shop, it was the #1 seller on year 1, year 2, and the #2 seller on year three. So it was a rocket seller for A2A. A product that sells for that long can't be all that bad :)

Scott.
Thank you Scott.

In another post you said how runway lights are not modified but on the product page of the product (see cut and paste below) it lists on the first line "and runway lights" so I am a little confused.

I was hoping it would animate the runway lights perhaps. It is listed in the features below and was a main reason I was considering purchase. I understand it affects only non accu sim aircraft because accu sim ones have it built in.

Some questions if I may
- confirmation about what "...and runway lights" means on the first line.
-What about A2A aircraft without the accu sim expansion ? Does 3D lights affect them ?
-Also I have tried to find with and without the add on pictures everywhere, are there any you know ? The product page only shows the effects "on". I looked at the videos and searched on youtube but never found comparisons. I guess I could look at default aircraft myself and then compare them with the product screenshots for the same plane I guess. I thought I'd ask you just in case.

Thank you Scott for your patience Scott.

[from the webpage http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/shockwavelights/ ]
FEATURES

Over 40 new lighting effects including strobes, beacons, navigation, and runway lights

Fully-realized 3D landing lights actually cast light into space

Microsoft Acceleration Expansion pack supported

Vintage, halogen, and modern xenon lights included

Installs into all twenty-four Microsoft FSX aircraft or all twenty-seven FS2004 aircraft

Entire new effects suite results in stunningly realistic night time environment

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I'm not sure what I may have said regarding the runway lights, I seem to remember saying we don't change the runway / ground illumination since it's a global effect that applies to all airplanes. But we did carefully modify the way the runway lights look, which I remember when developing these lights, was much better and real than default. You also have the option to modify the runway lights or not as well just in case there is an addon out there that may have already done something you wish to keep. We always try to give the customer all options (customer is king).

Now who out there that doesn't have the Accu-Sim expansion? :) All Accu-Sim base aircraft have 3d lights built in. The 3dlights package does make some improvements on some however, adding some light flares to some of the lights. This is automatic.

The only negative with this pack, and it was a necessary one, is we don't automatically install these into 3rd party planes. This is because every developer uses their own way of making lights, some in the model, some in the aircraft.cfg, and zero naming standards. So there is no way an installer can safely add these lights. It's very easy to add these lights to any plane manually, and I wish we had some magic that would do this, but the risks outweigh the benefits.

Here is a small tutorial on how the lights work and how to add them to 3rd party planes:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=11776

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Scott - A2A wrote:I'm not sure what I may have said regarding the runway lights, I seem to remember saying we don't change the runway / ground illumination since it's a global effect that applies to all airplanes. But we did carefully modify the way the runway lights look, which I remember when developing these lights, was much better and real than default. You also have the option to modify the runway lights or not as well just in case there is an addon out there that may have already done something you wish to keep. We always try to give the customer all options (customer is king).

Now who out there that doesn't have the Accu-Sim expansion? :) All Accu-Sim base aircraft have 3d lights built in. The 3dlights package does make some improvements on some however, adding some light flares to some of the lights. This is automatic.

The only negative with this pack, and it was a necessary one, is we don't automatically install these into 3rd party planes. This is because every developer uses their own way of making lights, some in the model, some in the aircraft.cfg, and zero naming standards. So there is no way an installer can safely add these lights. It's very easy to add these lights to any plane manually, and I wish we had some magic that would do this, but the risks outweigh the benefits.

Here is a small tutorial on how the lights work and how to add them to 3rd party planes:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=11776

Scott.
Thank you Scott.
- Ok so all base Accu-Sim aircraft from A2A, even without the Accusim expansion has 3D lights got it.
- Runway lights are improved

Options are always the best so they can be turned on or off thank you for all that. Yes I have seen the lights configurator.

I guess the last thing is still being unable to find before and after comparisons as to what it looks like with and what the same shot looks without 3D lights. I would really like to see how the improved runway lights look from the default.

Who out there doesn't have accu-sim ? Me :) I have the C172 and B377 (as it was on sale) but for future purchases I will be getting some Aircraft Factory ones and for the Spitfire I probably won't get the Accu-sim add on so there are some people like me, albeit very few people in that category. :)

Please don't get me wrong. Accu-sim is just the most amazing thing on the C172, the sounds, the persistence the feel. Heck I actually CARE where I park my C172 now. With the default one I didn't but the A2A C172 I sure do and there are little quirks only mine has, just like if it was real, this is all just amazing. I always found A2A extremely supportive and helpful as is the wonderful community and the best of all, A2A has really fair policies for things like installing on another computer you own etc. This is why I love A2A so much. :)

Thank you Scott :)

leesanghun
Airman Basic

Post by leesanghun »

Scott - A2A wrote:Sorry Styggron, I was going to reply but not exactly an unbiased opinion coming from the developer :)

Scott.
Hi. I Purchased 3d lights redux. Do I need up date from http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=10499 or my purchased is a upto date?

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Actually another question is how does it work if you have something like ORBX ? I guess you would need to turn ORBX off ?

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

leesanghun wrote:

Scott.
Hi. I Purchased 3d lights redux. Do I need up date from http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 32&t=10499 or my purchased is a upto date?
I don't think they update the installers if you buy direct, so if it is like their other planes, you buy it and it will have the updates time of release I think so then you should run the update. This is at least the way I understand it.

I'm not sure why the ones directly online from A2A are not already up to date. That doesn't make sense to me.
Of course I could be wrong.

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”