New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Re: New Captain of the Ship Aircraft - Connie L049

Post by Artur »

I hope that A2A Connie will be smoky like hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEaSDqxZVoY
I love "not green" engines :-)

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Not sure even AccuSim can generate that much smoke on startup. :lol:

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

That's actually a fairly unusual amount of smoke for a radial. I think that may have been the first start of the season for the plane or something like that. A radial that's run regularly still smokes, but if you look at the TWA Constellation Promo video linked elsewhere, you'll see a more normal amount of smoke that would be typical of a plane flown regularly.

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Just got home from places far away with limited Internet and this announcement made my day!

Great choice, A2A! Love the Connie for its historical relevance and romance, plus it will be nice to see a new heavy on the scene with the latest Accu-Sim gadgetry. Also, the potential to update the Strat is awesome news! Can't wait!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

I would like a feature to simultaneously start all four engines at once, like was done with Columbine, President Eisenhower's constellation

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

pjc747 wrote:I would like a feature to simultaneously start all four engines at once, like was done with Columbine, President Eisenhower's constellation
I believe that was a military aircraft in the C family and a very late model too.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

In regular use, a good crew could get all 4 engines started in just under 1 minute, (individually and in sequence) but that was exceptional. For civilian use, engines were always started in sequence 3, 4, 2, then 1.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Dogsbody55 wrote:In regular use, a good crew could get all 4 engines started in just under 1 minute, (individually and in sequence) but that was exceptional. For civilian use, engines were always started in sequence 3, 4, 2, then 1.

Cheers,
Mike
As I recall, the 3,4,2,1 sequence was what we used on the NC-121J's of OASU/VX-8 back in
the '66-'67 time frame. Even though I was an ET whose station was back aft, the FE on
our crew let me start them up before one of our missions :)
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
pjc747 wrote:I would like a feature to simultaneously start all four engines at once, like was done with Columbine, President Eisenhower's constellation
I believe that was a military aircraft in the C family and a very late model too.
Military or not, starting four at the same time would scare me! One major reason to start them sequentially is because engine start is your first real opportunity to end up with something on fire, and there's usually only one fellow with a fire extinguisher standing around during the start...so if all four go up at once, he's gonna be a really busy guy!

Jets are a different story, of course...there's only so much bleed air available during start so most four engine jets can only start one at a time or two in an emergency. Still not comfy when you are starting an engine on either side and the man with the fire extinguisher has to monitor both of them. ;)

-Ian C

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
Columbine II was a VC-121A, essentially an L-749, which is more or less visually identical to the C-69/L-049. It would be a cute option, even if not 100% historically accurate.
Dogsbody55 wrote:In regular use, a good crew could get all 4 engines started in just under 1 minute, (individually and in sequence) but that was exceptional. For civilian use, engines were always started in sequence 3, 4, 2, then 1.
I'm just referring to the actual plane Eisenhower used which was specially equipped to start all 4 engines at the exact same time, for dramatic effect.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

For me more funny will be to start engines one by one in sequence

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

I see nothing funny about starting four engines in sequence.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

hmm, maybe you are right, wrong word - joyful ?
see them coming to life one by one... - just personal preference :)

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Artur wrote:hmm, maybe you are right, wrong word - joyful ?
see them coming to life one by one... - just personal preference :)
In English, funny means "humorous." For example "that joke was funny."

You meant to say "fun" :)

Madfred
Airman

Post by Madfred »

Artur wrote:I hope that A2A Connie will be smoky like hell
I love "not green" engines :-)
CAPFlyer wrote:That's actually a fairly unusual amount of smoke for a radial. I think that may have been the first start of the season for the plane or something like that. A radial that's run regularly still smokes, but if you look at the TWA Constellation Promo video linked elsewhere, you'll see a more normal amount of smoke that would be typical of a plane flown regularly.
Actually, the Constellation is known for it's "smoky" engines. That, and the shape of the fuselage, is how it got
it's nickname "The Flying Sigar"

I was lucky to see multiple start-up's of the "Connie" at the dutch museum in Lelystad (EHLE), and you did not want to stand behind the engines :lol:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”