Airbus 'double-blink' strobes

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
jackralston
Airman Basic

Airbus 'double-blink' strobes

Post by jackralston »

Right, this has been really bugging me for a long time and I am determined to find a solution so here goes :D

I am trying to create the airbus 'double-blink' strobes for certain aircraft. I do use shockwave lights but I recently decided that I feel the thickness/size of the strobes is too big so I decided to try out 'Nick's LightFix' (from AVSIM) and noticed the .bmp/texture file for the strobe was perfect, but, the actual fx_strobeh.fx effect file was coded strange.

After fidgeting around, I tried to use the fx_shockwave_strobe.fx effect file but edit the texture= line in the .fx file to use "NAV_White.bmp" from Nick's LightFix files. the actual blinking seemed fine (double-blinking) but it seemed to be blinking it various locations, not on the co-ordinates of the wing which appear in the aircraft.cfg.

SO! :D ..... is it possible to use the fx_shockwave_strobe.fx effect file (to create the double blink) whilst using another texture/bmp. If someone could please give me guidance on this, that would be fab!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Airbus 'double-blink' strobes

Post by Scott - A2A »

You can pretty much do almost anything with the effects, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "it seemed to be blinking it various locations, not on the co-ordinates of the wing which appear in the aircraft.cfg"

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jackralston
Airman Basic

Post by jackralston »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try attach images at a later time to demonstrate what I mean, but for now, let me try and explain in more detail.

So what ended up happening was that the new strobe effect I had created (using shockwaves effect.fx file with a different texture), it would flash not on the tip of the wing but in different places close to the co-ordinates decided for fx_shockwave_strobe.fx in the aircraft.cfg under [Lights] section. So instead of it blink1 blink2 at the x,y,z coordinates (consistently), it would randomly decide where to blink, so blink1 could be above the wing and blink 2 might happen below the wing and backwards a bit.

It seems odd because the only change I have effectively made is the texture= line under [emitter.x] sections in the .fx file.

I tried to attach the .fx files before but it won't let me attach that type.
Is it something to do with 'X Offset=0.00, 0.00 - Y Offset=0.00, 0.00 - Z Offset=0.00, 0.00' lines, maybe they are not at 0 in the shockwave versions, I haven't checked. If they aren't at 0 I believe this mean it will blink a distance away from it's origin at the specified values.

jackralston
Airman Basic

Post by jackralston »

Ok actually I have another question haha.

If I want to use fx_shockwave_strobe.fx (which is the double-blink strobe), how do I adjust the 'thickness/size' of the effect? All I basically want to do is make the actual blink smaller, I find the strobe effect size a bit too big. I tried radius= but that didn't make any difference

rsvette12
Airman

Post by rsvette12 »

"All I basically want to do is make the actual blink smaller"

i would like to know how to do this also - thanks

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”