Possible to fix Airport Rotating Beacon??

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
njherr
Airman Basic

Possible to fix Airport Rotating Beacon??

Post by njherr »

So I've recently gotten back into using FSX after a several year hiatus and have been excited to see all the tools available to build upon the stock FSX software. After all of the addon's I've installed and tweaking of files and implementing SweetFX along w/ DX10 (still have to fix the rain), I am still troubled by the appearance of the rotating airport beacons. In real life, unless it is super foggy, not once have I ever seen cones of light emitting from them rather they are just flashes. I was curious if there was a fix for this, using Shockwave 3D Lights Redux or otherwise. The fakeness of these beacons is killing me. Thanks!

-Nick

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Re: Possible to fix Airport Rotating Beacon??

Post by Al FR-153 »

I realize several months have gone by without a response to this thread, but in case there is still interest, the airport beacons are not part of Redux to my knowledge. Airport beacons are handled by airport scenery design programs typically. As for the cones of light, and I am giving away my age in flight sim here.... They used to be just a blinking green light as the 'beacon' rotated. It wasn't until about FS-2000 or FS-2004 that we obtained the cone of light that you are referring to. The reasoning behind the cone was that there is a limited amount of brilliance that can be rendered on a monitor screen. The cone of light seemed to use more pixels and therefore made it easier to find an airport from some distance away. Back on subject, the cone of light and the beacon lights (green and white (civilian or military) or yellow and white) are created as an effect located in the Effects library within FSX. If you were to get into airport design software, you could control them to your liking. However, it would be on an airport by airport basis unless you recreate the dynamics of the effect that causes the light to shine.

Hope that answers your question, sorry for the delay in the response.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”