P in FSXroblem with F16 Config for Redux

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
GabethePilot
Airman

P in FSXroblem with F16 Config for Redux

Post by GabethePilot »

Hi All,

I tried the redux config data for the Aerosoft F16, but unlike the others I've tried, including the Hornet, the runway is not lit up ahead of the aircraft.

Is this a problem with the F 16 or is just not a great config file ?

Thnx.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: P in FSXroblem with F16 Config for Redux

Post by Scott - A2A »

The runway lighting is controlled inside the model, so only those with the model source have access to this function.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GabethePilot
Airman

Post by GabethePilot »

Hi, So why is it perfectly okay with every other aircraft.....is it down to the F-16 specifically ?

SweetApple_MC
Airman

Post by SweetApple_MC »

Hi GabethePilot,

That's just what Scott said about it. Ground illumination effects definetly remain untouched by 3D LIGHTS REDUX. If there was no such effect before, 3D LIGHTS REDUX will not add the missing effect.

Best regards

SweetApple_MC

GabethePilot
Airman

Post by GabethePilot »

Well I'm not convinced by that. I have a much brighter runway surface due to taxi and landing lights. That's the purpose of using Redux...surely ? And, it works prefectly with ALL other a/c I've tried. So, why not the F-16 ? Simple question.

SweetApple_MC
Airman

Post by SweetApple_MC »

OK, so let's get through this step by step.

Did you see any ground illumination effects using your F-16 before installing 3D LIGHTS REDUX (I suggest not)?

3D LIGHTS REDUX simulates the appearance of light effects. It is not emitting real light to the ground.
The ground illumination by an aircraft is done in two different ways:

Method 1:
The source code of the aircraft activates a ground illumination effect which is provided by FSX directly and is not depending on the actual light effect. Although it would be weird, it is possible to program the ground illumination without displaying any light on the aircraft - or vice versa.

Method 2:
The aircraft does not activate the FSX effect for ground illumination but comes with an own "spotlight.bmp" file which in fact is just a graphical layer the aircraft code places over the ground (standard procedue in FS9 which did not provide ground illumination effects itself). This way of realizing ground illumination also works on FSX but looks less realistic as it does not really increase the brightness of ground structure but only puts a white triangle on the ground overlapping ground textures. This way of enabling ground illumination on FSX usually is chosen when aircraft which originally are designed for use of FS9 are imported to FSX.

No matter how the ground illumination is done - it is completely independent from the light effect used on the aircraft.
You could use nav lights instead of xenon landing lights without changing the brightness of ground illumination at all!

So what does 3D LIGHTS REDUX do? 3D LIGHTS REDUX provides different light appearance effects. 3D LIGHTS REDUX is unable to activate whether the ground illumination according method #1 or even installing a "spotlight.bmp" especially designed for your F-16 (see method #2).

If your F-16 did not have any ground illumination effects before, 3D LIGHTS REDUX is unable to add them at all as it definetly cannot be designed to do so.

I am sorry but that's the way it really is. There are several aircraft add-ons which are less accurate and do not have any ground illumination effects implemented (even (far too) expensive payware like the A380 by afs-design*).

* This is my personal opinion; I am not employed by A2A Simulations and therefor do not state official opinions or recommendations of A2A Simulations at all.

I hope I made a more understandable explaination about things around light effects by now. Please do not hesitate to ask further questions. I'll do my very best.

Best regards

SweetApple_MC
Last edited by SweetApple_MC on 28 Jun 2009, 01:48, edited 2 times in total.

GabethePilot
Airman

Post by GabethePilot »

Okay, thnx for that.

But......there's always a but...!.......the taxiways and runways do seem to be more brightly lit in most of my planes, with the Redux lights in use. Maybe it's pyschological ?

SweetApple_MC
Airman

Post by SweetApple_MC »

Maybe it's pyschological ?
I would never dare to confirm that... :oops:

But let's be serious again: I am not absolutely certain if 3D LIGHTS REDUX has changed the ground illumination effect of FSX, which is possible although it cannot add missing configuration code for ground illumination to the aircraft code. I am using it too long to actually remember a possible change of the effect.

Best regards

SweetApple_MC

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”