After finishing first airplane some general question

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
new reply
Tim_Capps
Airman Basic

After finishing first airplane some general question

Post by Tim_Capps »

Now that I have the Captain Sim 757-200 looking like I want it to, some questions or observations arose during the process today.

The 3D lights don't seem to replace the lights, but, rather add the 3D effect. Although on this airplane turn on one landing light turns on all the 3D lights, the individual "hard" lens textures are still dependent on particular switches. Together, they make a nice combination of the normal "hard" light right at the lens, and the 3D effect that radiates in front. The 3D lights by themselves look a little unfocused.

I'm not sure what the 3D vc cockpit lighting in two different places is supposed to do. From the tower view it looks weird, although otherwise is fine.

I take it that the runway illumination is entirely separate from the 3D lights. With them alone, I don't get much, if any. With the standard lights also on, I get the runway illumination as normal.

Is there anyway to tie the white light and strobe to the flexing wing? The red and green lights seem locked into the wing, no matter what it does, so I don't understand the difference. Also, I notice that different light types (numbers) seem to need quite different placement figures for the same area, and I couldn' figure that one out, athough it doesn't make any difference in the way it looks.

Where do you begin with landing_light_light and what can you expect?

I was quite pleased with the way it turned out. I would just like to understand the concepts a little better.

SweetApple_MC
Airman

Re: After finishing first airplane some general question

Post by SweetApple_MC »

Hi Tim_Capps,

the 3D light effects are based on static coordinates within the [LIGHTS] section of each "aircraft.cfg" file.
The [LIGHTS] section defines the type of light effect (shockwave or else), the allocation of each effect (i.e. landing light, beacon, etc.) to also link the correct switch at the cockpit's panels and the exact position coordinates (x, y, z).

If light effects of an aircraft are static, A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX can exchange a light effect.
If a light effect is implemented into the aircraft structure code itself (always done when mounted on flexible wings or moving rudders), A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX can only add a light effect.

If done properly, an added light effect may look beautiful although not being a replacement.
However: It is not recommended to add an effect on lights on moving parts because the 3D light is static and will never follow i.e. a flexible wing movement. There is no known work around for this problem up to now. If anyone finds out a suitable solution I would appreciate to learn about it.

The landing_light_light provides an illumination effect on the aircraft structure and should be placed very close right in front or even on same position of the landing light effect.

Concerning your runway light problem I must admit to have no idea about it. Do you have any other runway light effects installed (maybe as a part of an airport add-on), that may interfere? Maybe just try to re-install the A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX and please make sure to have the latest version. My A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX runway lights look very bright and realistic. I have never heard about that problem yet.

Since I am just a user maybe Scott - A2A could give some useful hints?

Best regards

SweetApple_MC
Last edited by SweetApple_MC on 27 Jun 2009, 02:05, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Capps
Airman Basic

Re: After finishing first airplane some general question

Post by Tim_Capps »

Thanks for the answers. I understand a little better what is going on. I will try the landing_light_light effect out. I gave up on the white nav light due to wing flex. The strobe, however, is fuzzy enough I can put it a little above the wing and it looks good enough either on the ground or after wing flex.

The runway lights questions was about the taxi lights, really, and I think I understand how that works, now.

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”