A B-17 flight

A Living Legend
new reply
Edmeister
Airman

A B-17 flight

Post by Edmeister »

I was flying out of San Francisco enjoying a beautiful day, when everything started going haywire. I started having trouble with
all four engines at once. Number 3 engine was the worst so I feathered the prop , shut it down and started looking for a field to
make an emergency landing. The closest I found was over the foothills, a two thousand foot runway. I made a hard landing. I blew
out one of my tires, but we made it OK. I blew a cylinder head in engine number 3. A2A you guys are right! No two flights are the
same. What a great simulation! Thanks! :D

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A B-17 flight

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
As long as you have oil qty and pressure , then the engine can still be used , with a blown cyl , just more vibration of the cowl , and constant monitoring of the engine inst , for any signs of engine getting worse , i have flown a b17 in very shot up conditionds with the 91st , limping home on 3 engines with fuel leaks requiring transfer of fuel and remaining engines in a bad way with cylinders gone and severe vibrations that make instrument reading hard to impossible to see.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Damn, that sounds like a bad day in the cockpit. Glad you are enjoying the simulation though 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

I'm curious, did you have the turbos running? If you started having problems with all engines at once, it sounds like you experienced carb ice.
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”