how do you taxi

Post by guard2017a »

How do you taxi without pivot turns and keep the aircraft below 10KIA for taxi

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: how do you taxi

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
It depends on your control setup , i have four independant throttles/mixtures/prop controls , so to turn say left , i would open the throttles on engs 3 and 4 with eng 4 opened a bit more than eng3 , which causes the aircraft to turn and at same time on my rudder peddles i aply a bit of left brake with brake/release/brake method.
Some only have twin throttles and have both left engines on one and both right on the other , again as per your other primer issue , use the b17 control configurator to set this up.
I believe the other way is to just use diff brakes , via keyboard or rudder peddles , or i think you can edit the aircraft.cfg file if you know how to do this , by changing the steering angle , so tail wheel operates via the rudder control as opposed to free caster.
If you are not sure how to modify the aircraft.cfg file , then dont touch .
regards alan. 8)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

To add to Alan's post,

If, like me you have only one throttle control lever, you can use shift+ 8 to select any combination of engines to be controlled by your throttle. So, for turning left you would select both engines 3 and 4. To turn right, engines 1and 2 would be selected. This is also useful when doing your engine tests prior to flight.

It is a fairly complicated dance, using shift + 8 in combination with your rudder and brakes, but it gets to be second nature with practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

The B17 turns very hard. The best would be a full throttle quadrant mentioned above as well as rudder pedals but for those of us with just a joystick it's almost impossible to turn the old girl. There is the aircraft.cfg tweak that Alan mentioned, which I use. Bladerunner900 posted the tweak here.
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 44#p376470

My sim is set up using a paid version FSUIPC so I can make special tweaks in it to help out a bunch too. The following thread is one of the latest on the subject. One of my posts has my work-a-round using FSUIPC settings.
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 76&start=0

Good luck Sir

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

And also make sure the tail wheel lock is off when doing sharp turns. I belive the warning lamp is lit, when the lock is off. The lever is on the cockpit floor, next to the copilots seat.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”