The Man Who Flew The Memphis Belle

A Living Legend
new reply
Edmeister
Airman

The Man Who Flew The Memphis Belle

Post by Edmeister »

This is a really good book for any fan of the B-17. In the appendix at the end of the book is a list of the
twenty five missions flown by the "Belle". It would be cool to re-enact the missions she flew.

Edmeister :D

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: The Man Who Flew The Memphis Belle

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
We at the 91stbombardmentgroup recreate the missionns flown by the 91st irregulars , based at bassingbourne in the A2A or AH B17`s , the memphisbelle was part of the 324th at bassingbourne , and i fly her as my chosen aircraft , this weekend is one of two back to back missions to berlin , on the last berlin run , my aircraft sufferd severe flak damage , and only just made it back , with severe vibration from fuselage damge , and this caused an oxy leak , resulting in an emergency dive from 23000ft to 10000ft , and then number two engine had to be feathered after two direct flak hits , which caused it to set on fire , and then had a flapless landing at bassingbourne , when the flaps failed to come down on short finals , lucky for me that i got the gear down early , incase it had to be hand cranked , not knowing if the left gear was damaged , thankfully it was not .
Our A2A aircraft are modified with extra views , norden bombsight , weathership gauge for long oversea flights on the ferry hops , pucker module that allows the mechanic to fix some items in flight or everything once safly back on the ground , allows flak to damage your aircraft if in the hit zone , and allows co pilot to deal with engine fires/feathering , if you are busy with other things .
regards Alan , member of the 91stbombardmentgroup and CO of the 324th . 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup the Multi player group the 91st regulary fly mock up missions in the sim, worth looking at for anyone with a slight interest in B-17 missions in FSX etc.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey Alan,

Does the 91st post any of their flights to youtube?

regards, Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Scott.
One guy was going to do a video of the berlin mission on saturday 16th dec 2017 , but Twitch gave him problems , so he just did some screen shots instead .
I think in the past some have been done on utube , when they had a dedicated server , which was done prior to me joining them , i became a member on 23rd dec last year .
Another guy , who flew a FW190 to attack our bombers on the return trip from berlin , repositioned him self in a jeep at bassingborune at the side of runway 07 , and took some screen shots of our return as we landed , which he was going to post on the 91st face book , he sent me some copies , but unfortunatly i dont have a website to post them to , in order to share them , and two of us where running almost on fumes as we landed , and my aircraft the Memphis Belle had two direct flak hits , one took out my heating system , causeing severe vibration , which got worse on righthand turns , this happend as we dropped our bombs in overcast weather on the mashelling yards at berlin on command from the pathfinder , as we headed for home i took a second hit on engine 4 , but no indication of any problems so just kept an extra eye on the engine all the way back , but kept it running .
Fuel in my tanks on shutdown was left to right 12 / 17 / 8 / 11 gals , and crew where telling me as we departed the dutch coast that i was low on fuel , which ment constant monitoring , incase of ditching or divertion , at VOR BNN , i had to go direct to Bassingbourne , had i flown the full route , i would not have made it back to base , but would have landed at an alternate airfield.
Regards Alan . 8)
member of the 91st bombardmentgroup , CO of the 324th bs .
Update :-
Videos of the 91st bombardmentgroup missions on you tube.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 3XJJLKmFfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcc4WIE0ww

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”