First successful flight

A Living Legend
new reply
Edmeister
Airman

First successful flight

Post by Edmeister »

Hi Guys! I had my first successful flight today. I took a two hour flight out of San Francisco and back. I
followed the recommended flight procedures. I flew to an altitude of 14,000 feet. During the flight the
radio operator came on with music a couple of times and a news broadcast. The crew in the back of the
plane complained of being cold so I turned the cabin heat on. I powered up the top turrent. It was pretty
cool seeing the top turrent gunner rotating around looking for enemy planes. I commanded the co-pilot
to monitor instruments. The windsheild started to fog up so I adjusted the heat and cracked open the
windows on the pilot and the co-pilot's side. I put the "Fort" into a couple of stalls and recovered. The
co-pilot told me "good job!". We landed back at San Francisco International. The crew complimented me for a smooth landing. I taxied the plane to the hanger, and shut off the engines. The crew chief checked her out.
No issues! Cool! A totally immersive flight experience! Thanks A2A! I hope to make many more!

Edmeister :D

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: First successful flight

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The B17 is a very forgiveing aircraft , but the crew take a lot to please them , wait till you get to a short finals and have an engine shutdown without warnings of any kind , that really gets your reactions going , or a turbo failure , how to recognise it and react to it , she is full of little surprises like that , but you cannot help but fall in love with the old girl .
Try flying in formation with other B17`s in close formation , takeoffs and formation join ups or break to land , the level of concentration during these times is very high.
We at the 91st bombardment group not only do these things but the aircraft is modified , with extra nav gear for long over water flights also norden bombsight and a pucker module , so when you go through flak , the aircraft could get seriously damaged , and you have to try and limp home to base.
Under these conditions you really get to know something about what it must have been like for these guys during the war years.
Regards Alan. 8)
91st Bombardmentgroup CO of the 324th.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”