Freezing aircraft?

A Living Legend
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Freezing aircraft?

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey guys,

I usually fly in real world weather, and tonight I decided to do a flight around the Antarctic. I've flown in extreme temperatures before, and the temperatures I was in today weren't that bad (-20C). As soon as I lifted off, the flight engineer said "I think we lost a turbo". Under the notifications screen, in red it said "We have some problems with Engine 1". At the same time, I was retracting the gear and the first officer said "tailwheel is up, and right gear is up." That sounded odd, so naturally I looked and the left gear was left down. Someone (flight engineer maybe?) said "Huh. The left gear isn't moving at all. It seems frozen." Cycling the gear did nothing, and hand cranking wouldn't work. As this was going on, E1 was continuously backfiring although all flight instruments were normal except for a lower than average CHT. I lowered the gear and landed gingerly, and stopped uneventfully. The interesting part was the maintenance hanger: nothing was showing up on the report as damaged. I reloaded a flight in warmer temperatures, and everything was operating perfectly. My only conclusion is that the cold temperatures started to affect components on the aircraft. Has anyone else had this happen?
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Freezing aircraft?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
When i have used ASN for my weather , i have found on odd occasions , that a bad weather download , which i have every 15 min , can cause strange effects on accusim aircraft , possibly through simconnect , as this is the only common link between the weather engine and A2A aircraft.
As for the gear , if you did more than one flight in a session , you may have done a heavy landing prior to this one , that may have broken the gear link , this does not show in the hangar , and it prevents the gear being retracted , either by gear motor or cranking , only fix is usually a restart of sim or reselection of aircraft.
I think the broken gear link should be added to the hangar faults , else you end up flying with gear down , or abort a flight , so A2A IF YOU READ THIS , PLEASE ADD THIS ON NEXT UPDATE to the hangar faults.
regards alan. 8)

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey Alan,

It very well could have been a glitch in the program. Come to think of it, due to my program having the "ignore crashes" option selected, if your aircraft leaves the ground at all it acts as if it was slewed, and accelerates it to cruising speed. I had a texture glitch which caused the aircraft to 'drop' a few inches onto the ground...and the computer thought it was in the air, so the B-17 was accelerated to over 200mph in about 1 second lol. This probably caused some overstressing and contributed to the issues I had for that flight.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It could be as you described did you warm her up before setting off?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey Lewis,

Yup, I made sure CHT was about 190, Oil was into the 60's, and Carbs were at 20 with the turbo at a setting of 3.5. I think the main issue was the aircraft going through similar forces that an F/A-18 goes through during a catapult launch lol.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes that kinda thing would cause some issues/unkowns

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”