The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blown cylinder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 am 
Master Sergeant

Hello,

Yesterday, as I was having a cross country trip in B-17 trough central US, a red message under "Shift+2" menu appeared: "We have some problems with engine 3". After a quick scan through the gauges, I could not find anything wrong with the number 3. I was both excited and surprised to see this one so early in my B-17 flying progress. (only 13hrs on the engines and the frame) I continued my flight with no interruptions to my destination airport. However during flight I noticed that the 3rd engine cowling vibrates a bit more compared to the rest three engines, I was eager to find what was the issue. Maintenance hanger mechanic said, that engine number 3 has a blown cylinder. I was surprised to have a blown (red) cylinder so early in the life of the engines.
The only inappropriate action I did, was to force engines 3 and 4 before they were warm enough, to taxi to the left on the ramp. That fact might have contributed to the issue in some way. I had my first issue with my Flying Fortress and decided to share my excitement. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will

Post subject: Re: Blown cylinder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:42 am 
Senior Master Sergeant

Hi LZ-WIL.
The symtoms you mentioned are always connected to a blown cylinder , and the engine seems to run ok , with just more vibration , all i do is monitor oil press and temps more frequently on the engine that has problems , just in case it causes a loss of oil , that would mean a shut down , but so far thats never happend to me yet.
Also blown cylinders can happen anytime , you dont have to abuse them for it to happen either.
regards alan. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:24 am 
Master Sergeant

Thanks Alan,

That was some useful information, I will monitor oil press and temps next time. I just wondered why it got into the red status - fully blown, before passing through the yellow state. I guess it was it's time. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am 
Senior Master Sergeant

Hi LZ-WIL.
I have had ASN causing blown cylinders , even after shutdown while in the hangar , with engine open for inspection.
Dont ask how it does this , as i dont know how , but suspect its through simconnect.
regards alan. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 am 
Master Sergeant

Hi,

That is very strange indeed. I don't have ASN, FSRealWX is the weather engine for my setup.

Cheerz,
Will