Stoping and rudder control on landing .

A Living Legend
new reply
atkin8
Airman Basic

Stoping and rudder control on landing .

Post by atkin8 »

The B17 is difficult to stop even at slow speed it will topple forward with the yoke held back . I have found using differential brakes to be more effective and keep them pressed . I assigned n and m for this .
In winds of 15 kts it veers to the left and requires a lot of rudder control on take off and landing tail wheel locked . I will try using using rudder trim to see if effective .

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Stoping and rudder control on landing .

Post by Tug002 »

I have found that just tapping the brakes on and off is an effective way of stopping on short runways and it helps keep the weight from shifting forward. I land on a 4000 ft runway and am able to stop in about 3000 ft.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Stoping and rudder control on landing .

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I find if i come in on approach full flap at 110 , and close throttle so i cross threashold at between 90 to 100 and let aircraft settle , then raise flaps , and let her slow on her own , if engines are above 1000 rpm , the brakes will be over powered by the engines , brakes ideally should only be needed on short runways for stoping , or for taxi on all airports, and never held on , should always be pumped in short bursts while keeping elevator full back to keep tail down.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”