No brakes on Accusim B-17G

A Living Legend
new reply
SSI01
Airman

No brakes on Accusim B-17G

Post by SSI01 »

B-17G plus Accusim installed in accordance with instructions. Button No. 1 on joystick (trigger) is set as main brake application control. I get no slow/stop on aircraft when pressing button no. 1, no little red/white "brake" indication in lower left screen. Other times differential brake/brake may flash intermittently in lower left corner of screen. Hydraulic pump is on. Have tried brake applications with slider set full left AND full right in joystick button/keyboard assignment window, neither has any effect & aircraft has no brakes. Only brakes working properly are parking brakes. Tried checking topic index in this forum for this problem but found nothing in my review. Have checked calibration of joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) in FSX, everything checks out OK. Brakes work properly with other FSX aircraft. What is cause of complete brake failure in B-17G? Thanks.

EDIT: Is this thing set up to brake the airplane using only F11/F12 keys? That's going to lead to some mighty interesting landings. Taxiing will be a bear too, unless you have a joystick or throttle controller with multiple throttles on it. Real-life practice was to set the inboard engines to run at more or less constant MAP/RPM, and juggle the outboards to keep the thing pointed straight down the runway - or to maintain position in formation. Gonna be mighty hard to do without a multi-throttle joystick. Wow!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: No brakes on Accusim B-17G

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
How have you got the brakes setup , is it in fsx controls or in licenced version of FSUIPC .
Also is the brakes set up for repeat while button pressed , if not you will need to pump the brake switch , also check in the hangar if all is fit to fly , shift+7 and that fluids are topped up in shift+4 , also note the brakes are not that effective in the b17 , and aircraft takes some stopping .
Approach speed about 110mph 100mph as you cross the runway piano keys 90mph as you gently put the wheels on the runway , gives you a better chance of stopping before end of runway , also dont exceed landing weight , as it can lead to landing gear failure/flat tyres , and the gear link damaged does not show in the hangar , first you will know of this is if gear fails to retract/extend , even when cranked by hand , only way to fix the landing gear link at this time , is to shut sim down , and reboot sim.
regards alan. 8)

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Hello MSgt Alan

I've got the brakes set up in the FSX "Options" - "Keyboard/Joystick commands." Button 1 (trigger on my joystick) is for all brakes to be engaged, both l and r. In "keyboard" commands, the period (.) button is the brake apply/release command. I haven't used FSUIPC. My FSX is set up for the brakes to be applied when button 1 is pushed, and not upon release. Hydraulic pump mode switch on l. side of cockpit is in "auto" mode, will not switch to manual (this may be because I have accusim switched "off" in preference window until I learn systems better). I have differential brakes (F11-F12) with this hydraulic pump switch on auto and engine 1 idling, APU running, batteries on as well. Hydraulic fluid reservoir is full. In FSX, the slider in the far right column of the "brakes apply/release" event slot is set fully to the left, no space between slider and left side of slider aperture.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The man hyd switch position will only go to manual if you keep the mouse on it , as its spring loaded to the auto position , there is also a hyd hand pump on co pilots side .
As for the FSX brake control the apply/release , on the far right under the repeat title , set slider full right , this will keep the brakes applied all the time the key is pressed , else your brakes will only be applied for a short momentary time , then auto release , this maybe why the aircraft is not slowing down.
When you can afford it , i recommend the licenced version of FSUIPC , and yoke/rudder peddles and multi throttle controls , it makes controlling aircraft like the A2A B17/B377/connie a lot easier to control.
I use CH yoke/rudder peddles/and 2 x CH quad throttle units , the yoke/rudder peddles are over 14 years old and still going strong , so they work out very cheap in the end , when you considder the amount of use they have had.
regards alan. 8)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

As Alan said, the hydraulic pump will only run in manual mode if the switch is held with the mouse. Until the system has 200 PSI (if I recall the number correctly) then it will not run in automatic mode. You have to hold the switch to manually run the pump first and after building pressure the pump will maintain automatically.

What does your hydraulic pressure gauge show when the brakes don't work?

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

The hydraulic switch immediately snaps back down to "auto" mode the moment it is released by the cursor. I'll hold it up for a while (after engine start for power on the airplane, as previously noted) and see what that gauge reads, then let you know. BTW manipulating the hand pump on the co-pilot's side has no effect. Should it start to slow the more you pump it, like it does in the P-40 for instance, as you build pressure in the system by pumping manually?

Will more slider to full right in FSX key/button assignment function.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The hand pump does not operate the brakes , it is just a means of pumping the hyd pressure up until electric pump takes over , or if the electric pump fails in flight , you can still get hyd pressure , as both the brakes and cowl flaps , need hydraulics .
The hyd pressure needs to be in the green band , to operate the brakes and cowl flaps , always check hyd pressure in green band on finals , to make sure you have hyd pressure , to bring aircraft to a stop .
This aircraft is very complex , and you need to learn its systems , to get the best from her , also listen to the crew , and monitor engine vibration during flight , this can give you a hint as to which engine might have problems , well before any gauge shows the problem.
regards alan. 8)

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

OK, figured out how the hydraulic pump has to work, hold switch in manual position until needle on gauge reads in green zone, top of green zone preferably. Opening cowl flaps, differential braking while taxiing is causing constant return to pump to keep needle high. End result is multitasking that is almost overwhelming. Will Accusim co-pilot/FE keep hydraulic pressure up or do I still have to do this? I know co-pilot can handle cowl flaps and intercoolers, fuel pumps, etc but that hydraulic system is a bear. Extremely difficult to taxi this aircraft with a single-throttle joystick - so tough, in fact, I'm resorting to slewing it to get it to EOR. Getting the thing unstuck from a dead stop requires flat-out application of throttles, then coming back on them rather rapidly once we begin rolling. So far I haven't been able to take off without inboard engines ablaze. Going to be slow going to learn how to handle this thing.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
As long as the electric pump is working , it will automatically run as the hyd press drops to bottom of the green band , and keep running untill pressure is mid to top of green band , you only need to manually hand pump or hold electric pump , when you first enter a cold dark aircraft untill you have 200/300 psi , then the pump will auto run , try hand pumping useing the co pilots hand pump and take note of where the pressure needle is , when the electric pump starts to run in auto position , that will be the same position when you use the electric pump in man position , that you can let the switch go to auto position.
I suggest you read the b17 manual carfully , it is full of useful information , i did not read all the sections myself , as i have worked on aircraft systems most of my life , as i was an aircraft electrician .
Has for engines , if you are on grass , it does take a bit of power to start her rolling , but you never need to push the engines out of the green bands , open the throttles slowly , you need to remember , A2A aircraft are very realistic , and need to be treated like the real thing , or things break , NEVER exceed the operating peramiters.
regards alan. 8)

SSI01
Airman

Post by SSI01 »

Thanks for the tip. I'm printing out the manual.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”