3000+ Air frame hours- Some Questions and Observations

A Living Legend
new reply
boris4356
Staff Sergeant

3000+ Air frame hours- Some Questions and Observations

Post by boris4356 »

A while ago I rolled over 3000 air frame hours, and it brings up some questions and observations.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the overhaul/refit cycle was for the B-17G in real life? I have never had any issues or problems with the flaps, ailerons, elevators, or rudder over the lifespan of this air frame so I am wondering if it is built into accusim that sooner or later it will notify me that my air frame is time expired and I will have to start from scratch again with an overhauled air frame.

I am also wondering about engine issues. Over the 3000+ operating hours, I have probably gone through approximately 25 or so engines. I have never had an engine fire in flight or on startup that I didn't purposely cause my self by leaving the cowl flaps shut and throttles on full in hot weather while experimenting to see the limits of accusim. I have never had any prop issues either.

I usually fly by the numbers, and take very good care of my aircraft. I do however regularly fly in extreme heat and extreme cold climates. I have flown around the world a couple of times taking in the Canadian and Russian Arctic, and Antarctica during the winter. Australia, Africa, South America, and Pacific Islands hopping in the summer. This might be a reason why I only average 500-600 hours per engine.

I would be interested if anyone could answer/comment on my questions and observations, and in what others have experienced with accusim.

Bill

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: 3000+ Air frame hours- Some Questions and Observations

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Bill.
First off congratulations on that many hrs clocked up 374.3hrs on my airframe , and i have been kind to my engines , but i cannot get even remotely close to those engine hrs , 200hrs was my best engines before crank went , i bet not many have got that high on hrs , i have ware failures set to 1000hrs in the hangar.
regards alan. 8)

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi Bill.
First off congratulations on that many hrs clocked up 374.3hrs on my airframe , and i have been kind to my engines , but i cannot get even remotely close to those engine hrs , 200hrs was my best engines before crank went , i bet not many have got that high on hrs , i have ware failures set to 1000hrs in the hangar.
regards alan. 8)
Thanks Alan!

I just had an engine go on me a few days ago with just over 350 hrs on it. I have one with 552 hours on it, and the crank has been in the yellow for the past 75 hours. I have had an engine last to just over 800 hours, and I have had some go at just over 200 hours, so you just never know. Most of them have been crank issues as well. My wear rate is also set at 1000 hrs.

Paul (Gypsy Baron) is the master of engine management. He has extremely high hours on his engines.

Bill

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Bill.
I know , gypsy and myself are both members of the 91st bombardment group , i only joined the group over dec/jan holidays.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”