Aluminum Overcast around the world

A Living Legend
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Aluminum Overcast around the world

Post by AviationAtWar »

Ok, I guess none of the images successfully resized. Sorry guys.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Ah,

Shots are fine, great detail in this res. :)
Must have been very exciting and tense watching those tanks. She landed basically on fumes.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I lost several flying days this week due to a work trip but I got a couple hours in tonight. 2,400 miles over open water for this leg and I'm already showing a problem with the number 1 engine. Temps and pressures look ok so I'm going to continue.

Leaving the coast of South America.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice job, and you are making grand progress 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

The African coast was a welcome sight after more than eight hours over water.

All sunsets should have a B-17 in them!

On approach.

Safely on the ground and ready to shut down.

Engine 1 used 30 (30!) gallons of oil, 6 gallons each on the inboards. Number 4 is my highest time engine with about 86 hours on it, and it used 11 gallons. I swore I fixed the oil leak on number 1 before takeoff but apparently I did not.

I mentioned the shift+2 menu was showing engine problems on number 1 shortly after takeoff. It turns out the oil and fuel filters were both yellow, the combination of both of them being yellow at the same time must have triggered the warning.

This leg was from Pinheiro Airport to Freetown International Airport, GFLL, in Lungi, Sierra Leone, Africa. 8.9 hours in the air and covering 2,328 miles, I burned 3,467 gallons of fuel.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I landed a little sooner on this leg to keep the fuel level a little more sane at the end of the flight. This leg was 1,814 miles, 7.1 hours from GFLL to FKKR, Garoua International Airport in Cameroon, Africa. Oil consumption was 6 gallons on number 1, 9 on 2, 6 on number 3, and number 4 now has an oil leak and used 24 gallons. 2,774 gallons of fuel burned. I have a couple oil leaks to fix and three engines need filters before the next flight.

I can't seem to get two of my screenshots to upload to Imgur right now but here I am leaving Lungi.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I suppose anybody watching this thread either forgot about it or thought I gave up. I got a bit of flying in today and am a little over half way across Africa.

Leaving FKKR.

Flying over Africa is less interesting than flying over water.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I had hoped to make it from FKKR to the African coast but I stopped for fuel at HAJM, Aba Segud Airport in Ethiopia. When turning final I looked down and saw that I had lost number 1. I either had to throttle up and assess it or land, I chose to land and found that I had lost my engine driven fuel pump. 6.5 hours to HAJM.

I left HAJM with full tanks except for the bomb bay. I didn't top off fluids or oxygen. After leveling off at 25,000 feet I suddenly lost number 1 with no warning. I would have continued for the next couple hours on three engines but by this time the oil in number 2 was down to five gallons and I was over some high mountains. I chose to divert to HADR, Aba Tenna Dejazmach Yilma International Airport also in Ethiopia. As I'm turning base I see the number 2 oil pressure gauge start to bounce and drop due to starvation, so I immediately feathered and landed on two engines. 2.0 hours for this flight.

Number 1 had a sudden crankshaft failure at just under 70 hours with the engine in good condition leading up to it. Anybody know where to get an R-1820 in Ethiopia??

batt
Senior Airman

Post by batt »

AviationAtWar wrote:Anybody know where to get an R-1820 in Ethiopia??
Might try digging around in the local junkyards. Never know, there might be a wrecked Lockheed Lodestar laying about somewhere. Call some of those scrap dealers in Addis Ababa. You'd be surprised what those guys can come up with. If push comes to shove, you can always take your crankshaft to one of those back-alley machinists. If you do that though I would recommend changing it back out as soon as you get to Djibouti, however. Don't want to go out over the ocean with that thing in there.

Best of Luck. :mrgreen:

(* Djibouti: Good place to stop. US Navy base Camp Lemonnier is there, so they have overnight air freight available.)
Image Image Image
ImageImage

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Engine replaced and turbo adjusted, fluids topped off and full oxygen tanks, I take off to find this:

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Good to see you're back in the air. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Thanks!

Tonight I finished a flight from HADR to OYSQ, Socotra International Airport on the Yemen Island of Socotra, which is east of Ethiopia. This leg was 3.6 hours.

I again had to feather number 2 during descent due to loss of oil. The number 3 oil pressure gauge started to drop just before I took the screen shot below so I feathered it also.

I was down to almost zero hydraulic fluid, the pump ran constantly for about the last half hour of the flight so it's now showing yellow in the hangar, along with the hydraulic system showing red due to leaks. Note the low hydraulic pressure in this screenshot. I lost brakes after turning off the runway.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”