Hydraulic Pump problem

A Living Legend
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Hydraulic Pump problem

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey guys,

I've had to replace my hydraulic pump 3x in a row after about 5 hours of flying each time. It doesn't seem to be running more than usual or being put under any stress. Any ideas? Or did I just get a string of bad pumps?
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Hydraulic Pump problem

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I seem to get through them frequently as well , i think we have the same bad mechanic repairing them.
regards alan. 8)
Last edited by alan CXA651 on 21 Jan 2017, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

I blew several over the span of 2 weeks of flying and I decided to try something new by shutting off the batteries and generators (killing all power in the plane) and depressing the brakes on/off to reduce the pressure below 200 psi. This ensures the hydraulic pump will not keep building pressure and I can save the pump and hydraulic fluid. Then I return the generator and battery switches back on for power to the plane.This only works if you are flying long distance, on short hops this won't help anything. Once I flew 11+ hours from Hawaii to california and almost lost all hydralic fluid for some reason. Nothing stated leaks anywhere it just lost fluid at random. The procedure I stated saved the remaining fluid from being pumped out somewhere and I was able to use brake upon landing and his occured just after I overhauled the pump due to it blowing out on a previous flight. I now use this procedure whenever I fly and haven't replaced fluid/pump in a long while.
ImageImageImage

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

I'll have to try that. I usually fly from 3-8 hour flights, so that is probably what the problem is. Every time I adjust the cowl flaps or intercoolers, the pump kicks on so that is a lot of wear and tear.
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”